cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHP1 for Netweaver Mobile 7.1 available or not?

leif_almgren
Participant
0 Kudos

I am trying to do a install of Netweaver 7.1, and for that reason I would like to have the latest version available. According to the installation and media guides, there should be a Install Master and Kernel 7.11 available but I am unable to locate this in the software distribution center. I can find it for Netweaver PI 7.1, but not for Netweaver Mobile. Anyone who knows more about this?

I could of course install 7.1 and then the EHP1 as an upgrade, but I already installed SQL Server 2008 and NW 7.1 can not be installed directly on MSSQL 2008, so I thought it woudl be easier to just make one install and save a lot of time and extra steps.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Lief,

NW Mobile 7.11 is not yet released to customers and hence you would not be able to find the same. Mobile 7.11 release itself would enter into ramp-up in the coming months and you can download it only if you are enrolled for it's ramp-up. On the other hand, additional features which are bundled along with Mobile 7.11 is only relevant for mDSD and MDS customers and hence if you are intending to develop a custom mobile application then you should use 7.10 release itself.

Thanks, Dharani

leif_almgren
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Dharani, that was just the info I needed.

leif_almgren
Participant
0 Kudos

I have to come back to this topic, because of a reply I got in another thread some time ago from Mr Stefan Wawrzinek:

"SAP NetWeaver Mobile Always Connected is supporting Stylesheets with NetWeaver 7.1 EHP 1."

My goal by installing Netweaver 7.1 Mobile is to test the "Always Connected" functionality with mobile devices. The tests I have done with Netweaver 7.0 are very disappointing. Either I get good performance but absolutely zero control over the look & feel (using parameter PieClient), or I get terrible performance but a good looking interface (stylesheets and javascript too heavy for mobile devices).

So it seems I will anyway have to wait for EHP1. But what is puzzling me is the fact that there is no Java application server in Netweaver Mobile 7.1. Does that mean that SAP now supports the parameter PieClient for mobile-compatible rendering of HTML also for ABAP WebDynpro applications? With NW 7.0, it was necessary to use Java WebDynpro to use the PieClient parameter.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leif

To remove the confusion:

Mobile Always Connected Applications use WebDynpro Java and Java AS. You just need these two to run the application.

Mobile Occassionally Connected Applications use DOE (ABAP AS) and a Mobile Client.

NetWeaver Mobile 7.1 refers to the Occasionally connected applications. So if EhP1 of Java AS is available you can test your application with that. You need not install anything extra.

Regards

Vidyadhar

leif_almgren
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to both of you for quick replies.

Dharani, I looked at CE 7.1 and CE 7.11, but the installation media does not look at all like a normal Netweaver installation, i.e. there is no installation master and kernel disks, just two different bundles called "NW CE 7.11 Appl., Dev.WP 32bit, Doc." and "NW CE 7.11 Windows on IA64, x64". Are you saying that installing these two bundles would give me a full-blown Java application server that can run Java WebDynpro applications?

Vidyadhar, the problem is that I need a 7.11 Java server, and from what I can tell there is no general release of Netweaver 7.1 or 7.11, only specialized versions like "Mobile" and "PI". And as I understand it, there never will be, and the next general release of Netweaver will be 7.2 at the end of this year.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leif

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/nw-ce-downloads

I think NW CE 7.11 Windows download has both the Java AS and the Developer Studio.

Regards

Vidyadhar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Lief,

If you want to develop an always connected application, then you should be using Webdynpro Online instead of NW Mobile 7.11. And Webdynpro Online is released with CE7.11 and not with Mobile7.11. And once you install CE7.11 you would also have Java application server which you can use.

Hope this answers.

Thanks, Dharani