cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Linux OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am trying to find some information on upgrading Red hat linux OS from 2.1 to 5 but i am not able to find any. But i am able to see information on upgrading from 2.1 to 4. Is upgrading Linux from 2.1 to 5 is supported? Any information or link on the same will help me much

Kindly suggest

Regards,

Anand

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus / Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

upgrading directly from RHEL 2.1 to RHEL 5 is not supported by Red Hat. You could upgrade from RHEL 2.1 to 3 and from there to 4 and then to RHEL 5, but since each upgrade can cause inconsistencies we recommend against it.

Backing up the data on the system and then doing a fresh install of RHEL 5 and then recovering the data from the backup afterwards is the recommended approach.

Regards,

Frank

Red Hat Onsite Engineer @ SAP LinuxLab

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I am trying to find some information on upgrading Red hat linux OS from 2.1 to 5 but i am not able to find any. But i am able to see information on upgrading from 2.1 to 4. Is upgrading Linux from 2.1 to 5 is supported? Any information or link on the same will help me much

I suggest you check the Redhat documentation for that issue. I'd read the RedHat release notes for RHEL 5.

Markus