cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie EP development questions

yguan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello EP Experts, I’m new to EP, please help me with my questions. The scenario is my company is in the process of implementing MSS with EP 6, ECC5.0. We will hire remote consultants to do some custom developments (iViews) but our internal resources will be supporting them going forward. We have identified Web Dynpro for Java is our choice of development tool. My questions are:

1. For development, what kind of development landscape does your company use or prefer? Does your company install Portal and NWDS on each developer’s PC for development and testing, then deploy to a centralize Portal for user testing? or only install NWDS on developer’s PC and testing against a centralized Portal? What is the best approach?

2. We want to learn Web Dynpro for Java ,what do you suggest in SAP training courses? Has anyone attended EP150(Java Development for the SAP Enterprise Portal and KM), or JA310(Web Application Development – Java)? Which one is more relevant to learn Web Dynpro?

3. Is knowing Web Dynpro for Java enough to develop and deploy custom iViews or do we need to learn other tools and skillsets?

Since I’m new to EP I might not even asking the right questions, so please let me know if I need to know anything else.

Thank you very much.

Yan Guan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Mostly companies have a central server with SAP EP and NWDS on developer machinces.

The main thing with having EP on all systems is you have to get license for all the instances.

If you go for the sneak preview, then you will not get all the features in it.

If all the developer PC's have 1GB RAM[512MB RAM is not enough] then you can have EP and NWDS on the same system.[This setup helps if the developer is trying things like modifying the default framework page, the results will not be visible to all users.

You need to know the basics of EP to integrate the iViews developed in webdynpro in EP.

In case of EP sneak preview except visual composer and CAF all other features are available.

=================

To clarify what i posted previously i was talking about Netweaver as a whole [XI sneak preview is not available].

The statement

"If you go for the sneak preview, then you will not get all the features in it."

should have been like

"If you go for sneak previews in case of netweaver you will not get some components like XI."

Message was edited by: Kirupanand Venkatapathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kirupanand,

Just to clarify with your statement that Sneak preview doesn't have all the features in it. I thought sneak preview has all the feature as full edition except that it expires after 180 days. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Siva

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

yguan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your response. I've given points to you. First time posting in the forum so hopefully I awarded points to you correctly.

Kaushal,

please email ESS/MSS configuration documents to yguan8@yahoo.com. Other related documents are welcome and appreciated.

Kirupanand,

Is their any debugging functionality in Web Dynpro? Does it exist in both EP on central server or developer PC?

I was trying to follow SAP's "Welcome" Web Dynpro tutorial on NWDS but got stuck on trying to deploy it to EP. It returned a message of "Please configure your engine/sdm correctly". What kind of account do I need to have on EP for deployment? Any documentation or link on how to configure NWDS?

Again thank you for your replies. We have no EP resources so all info and pointers are welcome.

Yan

Yguan8@yahoo.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yan,

U Have to configure J2EE server under NWDS.

in NWDS click on windows menu -> preferences -> SAP J2EE Engine

if ur SAP j2ee installed on remote host provide the host detail as following

Message server Host -> ur host name of J2ee server

Message server port -> 36<SCS instance number> i.e 3601

after configure the J2ee server u r able to deploy on J2ee server with administrator user name and password.

(SDM username & Password)

i'll send u the basic documentation to configure ESS/MSS on EP 6.0 ERP2004 just change according to ur system landscape.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yan,

U want to implement MSS with EP6 ECC 5.0. There are redymade webdynpro buisness package available at service.sap.com using with EP6 ECC 5.0

if u want to implement additional iview based on webdynpro for MSS than u can develop with NWDS.

if u having a basic knowledge of JAVA than u can used the NWDS Help. it's so usefull.

if u provide me ur email id i'll send u the basic configuration document for ESS/MSS with EP 6.0 ECC 5.0

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Kaushal,

Can u pls send the same to shakthigin@yahoo.co.in

Thanks in Advance,

Dharani