SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geschu00E4ftspartnertyp u00E4ndern / BUT000-TYPE CHANGE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

weiß jemand, warum man den Geschäftspartnertyp (1 Person, 2 Gruppe, 3 Org) nicht ändern kann ?

MfG

Uli

-

-

Hi,

does anybody know, why the Businesspartnertype (1 Person, 2 Group, 3 Org) can't be changed?

Regards

Uli

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I already went through this and many other URLs. But I could not find a answer, why SAP does not provide a possibility for changing the BP Type.

Someone asked me to write a program for switching this type, but I think, this is not that easy (if it is possible at all).

Of course you write a program to alter the flag from 1 to 2 or 3 and re-map the adressfields, but I don't feel very happy with this, because I dont know, what happens in the backgroud. Is there a connection to FI FI-CA or some other Modules.

What happens to already started contracts or workflows. Can it cause problems in billing etc.

I don't want to cause inconsistent data and get famous as Mr. Minidump......

So, what is the reason, why SAP says " You cannot alter the business partner category at a later stage.".

Nevertheless, thanks for your answer...

Uli

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is because different sets of screens and fields become mandatory or optional depending on the type and if you change it you may not be able to access that partner anymore because some required data for the other type is not maitained.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uli,

Yes, there's a very good reason indeed why the BP type can't be changed-

There is no standard way to do this - and it is also a very risky thing to do in case the BP is used in Business Transactions.

e.g : there a lot of functions that would not be valid in case the BP type is changed. for example - the industry tab is only valid for organizations, it will be lost if you convert the BP to a person.

There are roles, such as contact person, which are only valid for persons, not for organizations.

There are relationship categories, such as 'employee' which are only valid for persons.

Again, the address types are different. Perosn address is type 2 , Org address is type 1, hence the conversion will cause compatibility issues.

If you make an org into a person, you need to generate a person number - and this now needs to be lnked with the existing address. So even other linked applications are affected. Its quite complicated, and can lead to inconsistencies.

Consider a business function such as a move-in / move-out - the whole functionality would not make any sense if the BP type was changed.

Hence, conversion is not supported since its very risky.

The only solution here is to create a new BP with the same master data such as name, address,etc.

Cheers,

Rishu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, that is what I thought, but do not know, because I am a newbie in IS-U.

Thanks a lot!