cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore the dropped tablespace using RMAN?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have done a oracle tablespace re-org for PSAPPOOLD,PSAPPOOLI. Now I want to restore only the OLD PSAPPOOLD,PSAPPOOLI tablespace using TAPE backup via RMAN.

The probelm is I have dropped the old tablespace during re-org which is a part of the re-org. Is it possible to restore the dropped tablespace using RMAN?

My Oracle version is 9.2.05

if anyone has done this before, please share your valuable ideas.

I wrote the below script for the restore.

run {

allocate channel ch1 type sbt_tape;

startup nomount

restore controlfile; -

>(I guess,if I restore old control file, I might get old structure which help the restore of TB)

alter database mount ;

restore tablespace PSAPPOOLD,PSAPPOOLI;

recover tablespace PSAPPOOLD,PSAPPOOLI;;

release channel ch1;

}

Thanks,

Arjun

Edited by: Arjun Venkateswarlu on Jul 31, 2009 6:40 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have done a oracle tablespace re-org for PSAPPOOLD,PSAPPOOLI. Now I want to restore only the OLD PSAPPOOLD,PSAPPOOLI tablespace using TAPE backup via RMAN.

>

> The probelm is I have dropped the old tablespace during re-org which is a part of the re-org. Is it possible to restore the dropped tablespace using RMAN?

Hello Arjun,

why would you want to do this?

What is is you want to achieve by this action?

BTW: it's not possible to do that.

Check [Performing RMAN Tablespace Point-in-Time Recovery|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmtspit.htm].

You want a "Tablespace point in time recovery" (TSPITR) for a dropped tablespace and that is just not possible with RMAN.

So, the easiest way for you to get this tablespace back would be to restore and recover the database to a different host.

Ah, while we're at it: using RMAN outside the BRTOOLS is not supported by SAP - so you better be a wiz with it because there won't be much help in case anything does not work.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you thought about point in time recovery?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manoj,

I am trying to avoid doing the DB restore.

Thanks,

Arjun