cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible ways to start SAP Web AS services

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using J2EE SAP Web AS 7.0 on UNIX platform and herein i use startsap script to start SAP as well as database services. My concern here is that what all are the possible ways to start the SAP services apart from the above mentioned script? One i could figure out is to run all the commands in the script one by one, though does not make sense if the script is already available

Reason for asking above question is that i want to set an environment variable whenever SAP Engine starts up. And, if i embed this line in startsap script it would solve my purpose but if there is any other way also to start SAP services, then i have to cover those use cases also. So, please provide your suggestions for my requirement.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For all current releases it is also possible to start the SAP systems with a remote management console (like it always worked on windows), note [1014480 - SAP Management Console (SAP MC)|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1014480]

There is a java version as well, which can be started from a browser:

http://<hostname>:5<instance number>13

The MMC calls the sapstartsrv processes and they don't seem to use the startsap script

And back to your initial issue: you should not set env variables in the startsap script, because it is delivered by SAP and will be overwritten, when you patch kernels and stuff.

You should set the env variables in the dedicated files for it, like .cshrc, .profile, .sapenv_migzmc2c.* etc. If you want to set the variable ONLY IF SAP is started, then please elaborate what exactly this is for

Best regards, Michael

Edit: hehe, just a few threads down below i found this one

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your input and it looks like adding an environment variable in startsap script is not a good option.

My requirement is that my SDA file has dependecy on some third party dll's and at the time of starting SAP Web AS, this dll path should be available at the beginning of LIBPATH variable. So, please let me know if some fix is available for my requirement.

Also, i have discoverd that SAP profile (located at /usr/sap/<SID>/profile/START_JC<SID>_<machine name>) has the required parameters( LIBPATH, etc) and if i add my dll path in these environment variables, i am able to load my dll at the SAP starting time. Here my questions are:

1. Is it fine to make changes in this profile file?

2. Would my changes be overwritten if the kernel upgrade happens?

3. If i start SAP using MMC (suggested by you), still this profile file be read for starting SAP Web AS and the dll's would be loaded?

Apart from this i tried out using "There is a java version as well, which can be started from a browser:

http://<hostname>:5<instance number>13" which internally uses MC. Here if i try starting SAP WebAS, it prompts for user name and password. I tried out <SID>adm user, J2EE Administrator user and machine root user but all these options were ruled out by the Authentication module. Can you please suggest which user name should i try to stop/start SAP using MMC?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Usually the start profile should not be edited, but in this case it might be ok. Personally I would still prefer to extend the users environment, but this is just a matter of personal habit.

2. No

3. Yes, but better test it.

Can you please suggest which user name should i try to stop/start SAP using MMC?

I always use sidadm, this might be an OS specific issue, I remember we had to alter the PAM auth config on certain linux versions.

Regards, Michael

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can easily create your own .sh file that set the env variable and then start the systemby calling startsap

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is only way to start sap at command line by startsap script. But you can also have look at SAP Telnet