cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Maintenance Generator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Again

I guess we can not maintain standard tables thorugh table maintainance generator

so how do we do changes if any ..we want to do in standard tables??

do we need to use all those data transfer methods if we want to modify, update or insert data in standard tables?? is this only option available for maintaining std tables??

if so what could be the reason SAP has not given the facility of maintaining std table through table maintainance generator??

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Every standard table is linked to a standard transaction,

Let us say for example if you want to update MARA table, you should not do so. You will be inserting new records with the help of a standard transaction or any data transfer technique through programatically.

For a Z custom table its quiet possible to insert update or modify records with the help of Table maintenance generator.

Cheers,

Sampath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies

Actually i was thinking why we cant maintain std tables through table main generator..

yaa now its clear to me that in any case, whether thrugh business transaction or though data transfer methods, standard code do updations in SAP standard tables..

SAP doesnt allow this to do manually (due to data integrity and data consistency reasons)

Really very Intresting

Thanks to all again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rashmi,

Never ever update standard tables.

Whenever, you execute a business transaction the standard tables will get updated and that is the way it should be.

If you want to upload the data, you should use one of the methods discussed in the other thread of yours.

Regards,

Ravi

Note : Please mark the helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rashmi,

1. First of all , the standard tables are said to be std., only because they are fixed and remain same for everyone. That is why, SAP has not given the facility of maintaining std table through table maintainance generator.

2. To make any changes in the standard table, I think we need to have an access key for that , which is given by SAP.

3. If at all we need to do any modifications or enhancements , say for customer purpose, we make use of User -Exits or BADIs.

Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal

yaa you are right ..standard tables are fixed and remain same for everyone

but am not talking about changing or modifying table structure

I am talking about modification, update or inserts in data of standard tables

can we do that using table maintainance generator

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you justify the reason why you want to change the data in the standard tables? How many records can you insert through it? Then what about the consistency of data?

Thanks and Regards,

Bharat Kumar Reddy.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Rashmi,

Its not possible that we can insert, update or modify the data in the standard table.

That can only be done if and only if you have the right access key.

One another thing is why one needs to change or update the data of a std table. The SAP does not allow this to happen .

You yourself think , if anyone can do so, then there might be inconsitencies , and irregularities coming up in the std table. Also there might be unnecessary data also. So modifications or insertions or updations are not possible.

what we can do if it is really needed , we can create customized table , say , zzmzra which is the same as mara , the std . table and then we can modify the data in that for our pupose.\

Regards,

Kunal.

Former Member
0 Kudos

but the same thing we do using various data transfer methods

don we update std tables using bdc, lsmw etc??

I don want to do anything.. I just want to know the senario

I hope you are getting me

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rashmi,

BDC's run through the transaction screens just like a user does and let the standard code handle the updations.

Similary, LSMW uses either the BDC way/ BAPI method / IDOC ways where the standard code will finally do the database updates.

No where we are manually updating the data in the tables.

Regards,

Ravi

Note :Please mark the helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi rashmi,

1. Very rare case.

2. But it happens once in a while that

there is some OSS note in sap,

due to which, the functional consultant

tells us to

DIRECTLY UPDATE A STANDARD SAP TABLE

FIELD(S)

3. It happend in our case in FI Module.

4. A program was made to update

one field in one table (for all records)

based upon some condition and value.

5. In that case, we specifically took signature

of the functional consultant !

regards,

amit m.