cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PP/PM interfaces with MES

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Just would like to know is that possible to implement SAP MES integration without xMII installed.? the current version is ECC5.

Thanks for advise..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor

Are you referring to SAP-ME (formerly Visiprise)? The connector to PP/PM from ME is built upon SAP-MII, so the short answer is probably yes, you will need to install MII.

If you are referring to some other product, can you provide more details of what is meant by SAP-MES?

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

MES refer to Manufacturing Execution Systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this Implementation for single vendor MES or array of MES for multi plant ?

Technically there are other possibilities too (SAP XI/PI can provide interface between MES & SAP) but I would say to consider SAP MII. MII provides future scalability and flexibility in logic implementation with wide range of visualization features.

It supports for all manufacturing modalities (batch, continuous, repetitive, discrete and hybrid) and bandwidth to use BAPIs, Idocs and other Enterprise Services.

Regards

Ram Upadhayay

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is for the single Plant single MES vendor. Actualy, I would like to know is that possible to exclude any middleware including XI/PI or xMII? Direct interfaces between MES and ECC ? Is that possible? If yes, what is the disadvantages? and what is the interface approach should be adopted, file based, EDI .. ?

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anything is possible...

Unless the vendor already has some of the this interface built (for example using webservices), then I suspect the savings from not purchasing MII will be spent building your connectors.

Without more detail, it is hard to say whether an alternate solution would be cost effective. At a guess, it would not be.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

If it is start of the MES- ERP integration life cycle then it may fullfil immediate needs but these solutions remain

beyond the complexity envisioned by the connector developers.

It will always remain bottleneck to integrate new plant systems in future. I have seen the clients replacing these approaches due to insufficient flexibility to handle the variety of interfaces.

Although you can use ways to develop custom connectors but right choice can be made with availability of precise information of MES system and details about the requirement.

Enterprise Services are open standards based interface mechanism. Loosely coupled interfaces based on Web-Services / XML / HTTP

File based interface mechanism for mass data-transfer and large messages using Idoc, it can be used for outbound as well as Inbound interfaces from ERP

But in absence of Middleware there will be limited capability to buffer, implementation of any required business logic and monitor connection statics/ trouble shooting.

-Ram Upadhayay

SEAL Consulting Inc

Edited by: ram Upadhyay on Aug 4, 2009 9:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thanks for your adivse! Question answered.

Regards,

Ong

Answers (0)