Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode conversion on 32 bit OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am planning to do unicode conversion for my non-unicode system.

Could you please let me know what are the steps to be taken to perform this activity?

Is the unicode conversion possible in 32 bit OS?

I would be obligued if anybody can give suggestions on this.

Thanks and Regards

Purna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is the unicode conversion possible in 32 bit OS?

> I would be obligued if anybody can give suggestions on this.

Technically possible - yes. 32bit on Linux and Windows is supported but I can just HIGHLY suggest not running production Unicode instances on 32bit. You will run into memory related problems and on either OS it's a pain to tune your system because of the 2 GB process limitation. Of course, there are workarounds (PAE, /3GB etc.) but those are just that - workarounds.

Only half of your current data will fit in the memory (your buffers), the database will, depending on what DB you use, need to do a lot more I/O because of that which will in consequence slow down everything.

If you once tried 64bit and you see how easy it is to linearly scale the memory, you won't go back to 32bit if avoidable.

Almost all Intel and AMD based system produced in the last two years are able to run 64bit operating system.

Technically possible - yes, recommenadable - no.

Markus

4 REPLIES 4

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear Purna,

depending on your system configuration (single code page or MDMP) you will need the attachments of the following SAP notes:

- Unicode Conversion without upgrade: See SAP Note 551344

- Single Code Page without Upgrade: See SAP Note 1051576

This is the technical step by step description how to do the conversion.

In addition I would recommend to have a look at the following SAP notes:

1322715 Unicode FAQs

1319517 Unicode Collection Note

The following link gives you an overview on the topic:

SAP Unicode Conversion Topics:

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700002020842008E

If you need more details, then please have a look at:

Unicode Workshop slides

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700004426552004E

For the ABAP enabling, you will definitely need the following document:

> Unicode > ABAP and Unicode Requirements > ABAP Programming in Unicode Systems: Requirements

You will find further info in:

http://service.sap.com/unicode

and

> Unicode

Last but not least, there is also a Unicode book available:

http://www.sap-press.com/product.cfm?account=&product=H1984

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Solution Management

Globalization Services

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Purna,

sorry, I forgot to answer your question on 32 bit:

I am not absolutely sure whether technically it is (still) possible to do a Unicode conversion and stay on 32 bit with your release.

However according to SAP note 548016:

"It is highly recommended to setup the Unicode system based on 64

bit platforms."

This is especially valid in respect of performance on your Unicode system.

Please also note that Unicode and 64bit OS are mandatory for new ABAP based installations:

Please have a look at:

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000380759&_OBJECT=011000358700003338142006D

Therefore from my point of view I would definitely go for 64 bit on the Unicode system.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is the unicode conversion possible in 32 bit OS?

> I would be obligued if anybody can give suggestions on this.

Technically possible - yes. 32bit on Linux and Windows is supported but I can just HIGHLY suggest not running production Unicode instances on 32bit. You will run into memory related problems and on either OS it's a pain to tune your system because of the 2 GB process limitation. Of course, there are workarounds (PAE, /3GB etc.) but those are just that - workarounds.

Only half of your current data will fit in the memory (your buffers), the database will, depending on what DB you use, need to do a lot more I/O because of that which will in consequence slow down everything.

If you once tried 64bit and you see how easy it is to linearly scale the memory, you won't go back to 32bit if avoidable.

Almost all Intel and AMD based system produced in the last two years are able to run 64bit operating system.

Technically possible - yes, recommenadable - no.

Markus

0 Kudos

Dear Nils & Markus,

Thank you very much for your valuable information. I could able to perform unicode conversion on 32 bit system

Thanks and Regards

Purna