cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring client 000 instead of active client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Issue: Ideally, we would like to monitor the active client but are not given SAP_ALL / SAP_NEW. Hence we end up monitoring client 000 where we get full auth. But does this gives all the info reqd for monitoring and administration?

1. With Solution Manager as the monitoring system, is it ok if we monitor client 000 of the target systems instead of the active client?

We intend to perform BASIS tasks (Perodic tasks such as servers (SM51), processes (SM50), database (DBxx), O/S (ST06), Dumps (ST22), bkg jobs (SM37) and so on)

2. Is there any documentation that shows the difference between monitoring client 000 and the active client.

Please note, we intend to configure BPM in the future, and hence we understand that the active client needs to be monitored.

3. In case we intend to monitor the active client, where can we get the list of auths (roles/profiles) reqd to perform the the above BASIS tasks

It would be great if we could get info on other ways to address this issue.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

I will try to shed some light on your questions.

1 For monitoring purposes client 000 is well suited. There are only a handful of activities that must be performed in the specific client. Example, create background job, start client copy, (look at transactional data). Reading background job logs is client independent (consider to put in the client in the name when you operate mulitple clients).

2 I cannot recall any official document stating difference. There are some information on help.sap.com defining the usage of client 000 and 001.

3 This is as hard to answer as it is to say how long a rope is. It really depends on what activities that is going to take place in the active client. simplest way is to list transactions/tasks that basis needs to perform and create the correct authorization from.

/fredrik

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you configure your system and activae client in SMSY you can generate RFCs and users automatically with appropriate permissions.

There's no need to have SAP_ALL/NEW for monitoring.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Markus.

We use CSA to remotely login to target systems to perform BASIS tasks. As such, the default auths assigned during RFC creation is not enough for performing BASIS tasks. Hence we end up configuring client 000 instead of the active client (we are not sure what we are missing due to not having the active client).

I am aware of the configurations to be done for sys moni and CSA.

My queries are more related to BASIS than to solman. Hence I need someone with a BASIS background who has configured solman (I am sure they have faced this problem before)

Regards