cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Viewer Report File Version Too Old

Former Member
0 Kudos

My crystal report was created in 2005. When I try to open the file I get the following error message. "Crystal Reports Viewer Report File Version Too Old. This report was saved from a version of Crystal Reports older that version 9 and cannot be viewed. To fix problem please open and re-save the report from a version of the Crystal Reports designer application at least as recent as version 9.

How do I do this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Bridget,

What verison of Crystal are you using?

As a quick fix you can download a trial version of Crystal Reports and then update all your reports but before you do that let us know what version of Crystal Reports you are using?

And also are you opening reports in an applciation you wrote or someone else wrote? If you wrote it what SDK are you using?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I downloaded the version 9.

My crystal report is for Simply Accounting. How do I update my reports when I can't even open them?

0 Kudos

Hi Bridget,

Simply Account is an OEM partner of ours. You should call them to get support. We can help you design reports but connecting to their datasource and issues with opening their reports we can't help you with.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I contacted Simply Accounting and they said they no longer are associated with Crystal Viewer even though there are Crystal Reports that can be produced in Simply. There must be some way to convert a report file produced from an old version of Crystal to a new version (Crystal Viewer 2008-version 9) so that you can open the file and make modifications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have no problem generating the report in Simply from the report file. The problem I have is opening the report file itself to make changes to the format because it was created with an old version of Crystal Viewer.

0 Kudos

Hi Bridget,

I'm not sure what version the original report was created in? The problem is the format of the RPT file type was updated in Crystal Reports version 9 and above to UNICODE compliant. Crystal Reports 9 and above can open any version of Crystal RPT file but if you save it in 9 or above then CR 8.5 or lower will not be able to open the report.

So if your Simply Accounting is still using Crystal Reports runtime verion 8.5 or less then updating the RPt file will break them all. We have no tool or utility to format new reports to old versions.

So you can still download a trial version of Crystyal XI R2 or CR 2008 and you should be able to open them but it may not help you.

It's still not clear what you are doing exactly? Are you opening the report in Simply and getting the error and what happened to this report to cause it to break, did someone update it to a newer format?

Thank you

Don

0 Kudos

Hi Bridget,

I am not sure what Crystal Viewer is? And I don't recall now what Simply used, too bad they won't help you with their legacy products.

To help me clarify what versions Simply was using, from our download page by clicking BusinessObjects tab above and the Downloads link you will find a file called Modules. It should be in any verion of Crystal Reports downloads.

Run Simply and/or Crystal Viewer and then run Modules. It will collect a list of all files loaded. Once its finished you can find Simply exececutable and by clickin oin it it should all files loaded. Crystal Reports should be in there somewhere, you may need to run Crystal Viewer also.

What version of any of the crystal dll's do you see?

Thanks agian

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

The INVOICE.RPT file was created in 2005 (I'm not sure what version). In February I had a hard drive crash and had to re-install all programs. Yestderday I produced the invoice from the INVOICE.RPT file with no problem but noticed that the phone number shown on the invoice was old so I wanted to modify the INVOICE.RPT file to the new one. When I tried to open the file I realized that I did not have a CRYSTAL REPORT VIEWER on my computer so I downloaded CRYSTAL VIEWER 2008. I then tried to open the file and was unable to do it because the error message "Crystal Reports Viewer Report File Version Too Old" appeared. (See original message posted Jul 29, 2009 at 10: 36 PM.) Is Crystal Viewer 2008 and Crystal Reports version 9 the same thing or do I have to download Crystal Reports version 9?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I clicked the Business Objects tab, selected Downloads on the left hand side of the page, selected Get Crystal Reports, Crystal Reports Servier, and Xcelsius Downloads, and then selected Software Product Crystal Reports. Nothing came up called "Modules".

0 Kudos

It's there, I should have mentioned it's usually on the last page.

Here s the link: https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip

0 Kudos

Hi Bridget,

Ah, that makes sense now. The viewer is a standalone version that simply allows you to view reports. What you need it a version of Crystal Reports Designer. But likely you are going to need version 8.5. I don't know what version Simply shipped with.

In any event this is the warning I told you about. Don't save the report in CR 2008 format or it will likely make it un-uasable in Simply.

Modules will confirm what version you need.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don:

I went into Simply and tried to modify the report which gave me the error message again and then I ran modules. Under the CRYPT32.DLL it showed CRYSTALREPORTSVIEWER.EXE but nothing for Crystal Reports.

I then produced the invoice from Simply and then I ran modules. I couldn't find anything about Crystal Reports.

I looked under Simply Accounting help and it said that you need Crystal Report version 8.5 to modify reports. How can I get this?

0 Kudos

Hi Bridget,

I would un-install any version of Crystal you have on that PC other than if it indicates 8.5. It may fix it but if you have never installed CR 8.5 on your PC then you likely won't have any of the required runtime.

Try searching E-bay or something like that. I highly doubt we sell that version any more. You could call sales to confirm but I doubt it. Don't purchase a newer version, it will not work and it will make your 8.5 reports un-usable in Simply if saved in a newer 9 or higher format.

What is Simply selling as a reporting tool these days if they no longer support Crystal reports? It may be your only option unless you can find a copy of CR 8.5. Or export it to some other format and manually update the numbers.

Sorry I can' thelp more....

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don:

Simply Accounting is using Simply Accounting Reports now but there is a Crystal Reports Print Engine component in Simply Accounting 2009 so you can still print the Crystal Reports (but not modify them). I'll maybe try to locate an older version of Simply Accoutning and try to install only the Crystal Reports 8.5. Thanks for your help.