cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logon groups utilization

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is it possible to see how many users are logged on via a specific logon group?

We have a fairly large organization and I have inherited the system with very little documentation regarding the current setup of the login groups.

At the moment I have 6 login groups and 8 application servers. All login groups are assigned to all application servers. I want to identify the larger logon groups and dedicate a few application servers to them as to improve performance, but I do not want to impact any other logon groups negatively.

Any ideas on how to get the amount of users per logon group?

Regards,

CJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Go to transaction SMLG

Menu: Goto ==> Load Distribution

It shows several statistics of users and response time per instance

Regards,

Marcel

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately as far as I know theres no way to check what Logon group they used. SM20, ST03N or STAD do not register that information.

The only practical (if you can call it practical) way to find out is to check the saplogon.ini files on your users to see how are they setup... undoubtly this is a titanic task.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

And you have the classical case of "smart users" creating their own shortcuts on the desktop with

"C:\Program Files\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\SAPgui.exe" <application server> <sysnr> instead of using the offcial company saplogon. It's so much cooler !

It means that they don't use anymore logon group load balancing and that when we replace an old app server they call support "because SAP does not work anymore. " ... ;-(

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi CJ,

We are also in the same position...

Any update regarding this....

Thanks & Regards,

Sundar.C

Former Member
0 Kudos

As this is quite a common question here, i decided to look into this too. I tried different approaches like analyzing the trace file of the message server (with various trace levels). Another try was to capture the tcp packets sent to the message server, to check for readable snippets.

I am coming to the conclusion that all the message server does is to maintain a list with logon groups and their preferred server. The client sends a very basic request to the message server and the message server replies with that list. The list is always containing ALL logon groups. At no time the specific logon group is sent from client to the messag server. So even the message server itself does not know the client's logon group.

This would mean that it is in fact impossible to get the needed information on the server side, even with a custom abap program. All the magic is happening on the client side.

Cheers Michael

-- again, i'd like to be proven wrong here once more... looking forward to it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

That user list gives you a global user list and not per logon group.

Regards,

CJ

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi CJ, i understand your problem, but the facility you are looking for is not available as a standard. once the user is logged in the system, then its the dispatcher of the particular server that handles the connection and its like a usual logon to a server.

I've been in your shoes where we had to find out the user who are not using logon group, but were not able to find it from SAP system. the only thing we could do is to suspect who is logging without logon group by contacting them.

But i think it should be possible with a custom program which checks the user login and keeps a track of the server assinged. but that will be a custom developement .. not a standard functionality.

Regards,

Debasis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinu,

I am aware of this URL but it does not explain how to determine the number of users currently using a specific logon group.

It only explains the setup of logon groups and their thresholds.

My scenario is as follows:

- There are 1400 combined users logged onto 8 application servers

- There are 6 logon groups

I wanted to know how to determine the number of users per logon group.

Regards,

CJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try

SMLG-> Select logon group->Go-> User list

Former Member
0 Kudos