cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM - Product Repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

From my understanding, the basic MDM package contains one repository for 'Product'. Has anyone thought about creating two repositories for product data - one for purchased materials and another one for produced materials? Would SAP support this type of repository structure? Can anyone think of any pitfalls with having two repositories?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne,

SAP MDM comes with 5 standard repositories, which are similar/replica to R/3 structure.

1. Material

2. Vendor

3. Employee

4. Customer

5. Article.

The Product repository you are talking about, when you create a new Repository from MDM Console, which is a skelton to maintain Product catalog, but you can always customize/enhance by adding tables and fields according to u r needs.

In MDM you can maintain any kind of master data. It does not have any limitations.

In your case, Is "Purchased materials" and "Produced materials" are 2 different set of master data objects or does both have any commonality except few fileds?

As you might be knowing as of MDM SP3 there is no standard cross repository communication thru the existing tools. The only way you can communicate across the repositories using the API (Java/.Net).

I would suggest go thru some of the business scenarios available in SAP Service market place before you start.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suzanne,

If your data is not related to each other at all - then having two repositories is a very valid solution to me. MDM 5.5 is build to have multiple repositories running at the same time... so no issue from that perspective.

it might be logical even, as you might want to have seperate end-user security, different workflows and validation behaviour...

Regards,

Dirk