cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.0 to 7.1 - object/parameter changes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

am installing 7.1 in my sandbox and plan to transport my objects from 7.0 Dev env to 7.1 sandbox.

I presume, all my IR, ID objects would work fine with this tranport of export/import?

What all parameter changes would happen when i do this transport?

Will this be as normal as my D to Q transport, where i just have to change my comm channel parameters, and mostly that is it.

with regard to my ABAP code set like alrtcatdef, sm59 and all...what would happen to these?

pls let know, any other changes that i would need to do, and also with regard to SLD.

thanks,

Vishal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishal,

We will never do the backward transportation.

Onething you should notice here is lot of changes are there in 7.1. First for transportation you need to assign your business ssytems to the new one. In mapping if you are using lookup there are binding parameters needs to be done in 7.1. So you need to change message mapping and interface mappings. As mentioned by you comm. channels are to be done.

If I were you I would ask the basis guys to upgrade teh DEV with 7.1 and fix each one manually in DEV and test it and then transport it.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi satish,

in that case, it would make more sense for me to transport my Dev objects to Sandbox first (both are on 7.0, just that Sandbox is all empty with no configurations)

After importing all objects in sanbox (it would be replica of Dev)

then i do an upgrade of Sandbox and test it there?

any other changes/pre requisite?

thanks,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

There are two methodology to upgrade PI 7.0/3.0 to PI 7.1

First is to upgrade your existing system to PI 7.1,and second is to establish a new set of server and install PI 7.1 fresh on it,then transport your objects from Dev 7.0 to Dev 7.1.

Which methodology you guys are following?Your approach should be based upon the methodology you are following.

Thanks

Aamir

Edited by: Aamir Suhail on Jul 28, 2009 2:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi aamir,

I am aware of these methods. thats exactly what i wanted to know.

In my first post i have commented:

>>am installing 7.1 in my sandbox and plan to transport my objects from 7.0 Dev env to 7.1 sandbox.

I presume, all my IR, ID objects would work fine with this tranport of export/import?

i.e Fresh install of 7.1 and then move objects from 7.0 to 7.1

and after satish's tips:

an upgrade to 7.1.

pls let me know, which would be a better approach in terms of lesser configuration/mapping changes and efficient?

And which would make more sense?

thanks,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

Both the approaches have their pros and cons

the actual model you follow will depend upon lots of factor that have been discussed in the below article

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40328fc8-4844-2b10-b7a2-8930c16d...

Please also look at the below article to see the major changes during upgrade

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/8085e299-718c-2a10-de94-928f62b7...

I would personally prefer to establish a fresh PI 7.1 server and then transport objects from existing PI 7.0 system.

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

This option would be a good one or as suggested by aamir you can bring up a new PI7.1 box and then transport it. It all depends upon the strategy your company adhered it.

There are other prerequisites apart from those. Please see the documents given by aamir. If you have any java code then they all need to check and change manually.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In both the case, these are common things:

>>u2022 XSLT and Java Mappings might have to be adjusted due to usage ofJ2EE 5 and build-in XSLT processor - we have XSLT/Java mappings

u2022 Custom developed adapters and adapter modules have to be adjusted and redeployed due to new facadéand packaging handling of API - we have custom developed adapter

u2022 Java proxies have to be redeployed -

aaprt from that, let it be an upgrade or fresh install, I do not see any change.

Fresh install, it seems is easier (from basis perspective)

But, do not find any real "killing" factor to choose one over the other?

Is there any one of them, which is more of hassle free than the other?

And what makes you choose fresh install - pls tell me some real "killing" factor.

thanks,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>pls tell me some real "killing" factor.

I dont know of any Killing factor:)

One very strong factor is the downtime.

In upgrade of PI 7.0 to 7.1 on the same system,we will have downtime,when all the interfaces from 7.0 is being upgraded to 7.1.Every client wants to minimize this downtime since it affects their business.

In case of fresh install,there is very minimal(if any) downtime since you already have a working PI 7.0 Prd system.You only need to shutdown this system and turn on PI 7.1 system.

Thanks

Aamir