SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Academic Scale with Negative Base Value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I hope everybody is fine and doing good.

I have defined system pass values as 55000, but I have come across a scale which is giving -ve base value.

it's 4 Point scale, with worst value 0 and pass value is 3, when I calculated the base value, it's coming -80000.

To overcome this situation I have to change the system scale pass value as 75,000, then I will get the 0 as base value for this scale.

But I have already defined many scales for external Universities, taking 55000 as the system pass value. So if I make any change in the configuration, I have to derive all the scales again.

Please tell me if any alternative solution is present or I have to change all the scales again after putting 75000 as system lower value.

Than ks and Regards

Sudhir Gupta

9 REPLIES 9

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sudhir,

Can you explain more about why the value of 0 is calculating as negative? Can you set up this scale with discrete values of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 (for grade entry), or is it a GPA-type scale for average calculations?

How are your other scales defined? What is your standard GPA scale?

Michael

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Michael,

I will answer one by one...

1- I have to define a 4 Point Quality scale with the given breakup.

A = 4.00

A - = 3.67

B + = 3.33

B = 3.00

B- = 2.67

C+ = 2.33

C = 2.00

C- = 1.67

D+ = 1.33

D = 1.00

D- = 0.67

F = 0.00

2- Lowest passing value is B (3.00)

3- We have other quality scales defined (like 4 point, 4.3 point, 5 point etc), in the system, which belong to different external Universities.

4- All existing academic scales are based on "System Scale LL 'Lowest Passing Grade'= 55000"

5- For the 4 Point scale which I mentioned (Best Value=4, Worst Value=0, Lowest Pass Value=3), when I calculated the base value, its coming '-80000'.

6- Our standard GPA scale is 4 Point Scale which I mentioned, here.

Please tell me if you need more information.

Thanks and Regards

Sudhir Gupta

0 Kudos

Sudhir,

I think what I need to know is the usage of these scales. Are these scales simply for storing external grades, or are they used for internal modules? Are the grades from these scales going to be mixed with grades from other scales for GPA calculations?

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi,

This would be the main internal academic scale of University, which I came to know yesterday (earlier it was 9 Point Scale)

All external grades will be converted to this grade after equivalency determination.

This grade will be used for GPA calculation also.

Currently lowest pass value is 3 (as of now), but I hope in future, when more faculty will join, lowest pass value would change to some other lower value (this is my assumption only, because many faculty has yet to join the University).

But as of now I have to derive some solution to define this scale in the system.

Thanks and Regards

Sudhir Gupta

0 Kudos

One think I forgot to mention,

All internal academic work will be graded on this scale.

Thanks...

0 Kudos

Why is a 'B' the lowest passing grade? If a student takes an internal module and gets a B- or a C, then the student failed the course?

Rather, do you mean to say that for external courses transferred to an internal credit, the lowest grade acceptable is a 'B' (3.0)? If that is the case, then this can be taken care of in the transfer regulation rule itself, where you desginate a minimum grade for transferring the work.

Michael

0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I was also surprised, when I came to know that B is lowest pass value, and student will considered fail if he/she gets B- or lower grade in the internal academic works.

This is the latest requirement of the University.

I am sorry to put this kind of silly questions in the forum, but please tell me if I can handle this situation without changing the lowest pass value of the system scale.

Or I have last option, to increase the system pass value to 75000, and defining all existing scales again.

Thanks and Regards

Sudhir Gupta

0 Kudos

It seems like you will just have to change the lowest passing value in the system. Certainly the requirement is strange, but that's what the customer wants!

Michael

0 Kudos

Thanks Michael,

That is the only solution, but I need to work on all existing scales again 🐵 ...

Take Care

Warm Regards

Sudhir Gupta