Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving usr directory on a JAVA system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have a Enterprise Portal 7.0 running on windows system

Unfortunately the space where usr directory is locates is very less,we have around 1 Gb left there,adding extra space will take 1-2 months,I have to perform EHP1 on enterprise portal system

So I am thinking of moving the usr directory to another drive,is it possible?

If yes any ideas how to do it

Rohit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A colleague of mine recently successfully moved the usr dir to another drive on Windows.

All he did was:

1) Copy the usr to new drive (Stop SAP first)

2) Use the offline config tool and search for any reference for old path (e.g. d:\usr) and renamed to new drive letter.

3) Recreate the sapmnt and saploc share and assign appropriate permissions.

4) Startup SAP

I might be a good idea to perform a filesystem and database backup before you attempt this.

Regards,

CJ

siarhei_pisarenka3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit

I think you can use junction utility for the case. It allows to establish a reference from a folder in one drive to a folder in another drive.

So you have to 1) stop engine, copy folder c:\usr to drive d:\, for example.

2) Remove physically c:\usr.

3) Use junction to create a reference c:\usr -> d:\usr.

4) Start engine.

For the engine such reference should be transparent, but the files will be physically stored on d:\.

BR, Sergei

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I tried moving usr directory to a different drive but was unsuccessful

Well as Markus said it would be better I would go for system copy option

Also Sergei..Can you explain me what this utility is for ?

Rohit

siarhei_pisarenka3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit

Junction is an utility for creation directory symbolic links. It allows you to create a link to a folder. For example, you can create a link c:\usr to the folder d:\usr. So physically the folder usr will be stored in D:, but C: will contain a link to the folder. With the link you can perform the same file operations as you can do with the folder. So clients like J2EE server will not see any difference between the link and the folder.

You can download Junction here:

http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Junction.zip

See usage here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

We often use the utility in our company, because C: drive is too small to store SAP J2EE.

BR, Sergei

Former Member
0 Kudos

That could be easily done on *nix, so I believe that it also should not be difficult on windows:

- stop all instances,

- copy all files from old drive to new drive (preserving permissions!),

- change drive letter of old disk to any available letter,

- change drive letter of new disk to match drive letter of old disk.

But again, I never did it on windows...

Or perhaps you could buy yourself some time by temporarily moving some files that are obsolete from, for example, /usr/sap/trans?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> That could be easily done on *nix, so I believe that it also should not be difficult on windows:

well.. windows has ACLs (as opposed to the implementation on *nix systems), Windows has a registry containing drive letters, there are shares (sapmnt etc.) pointing to drive letters, environment variables for two users etc.

The "clean" way would be doing a system copy - which is not very time consuming on a Java-only instance.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> > That could be easily done on *nix, so I believe that it also should not be difficult on windows:

>

> well.. windows has ACLs (as opposed to the implementation on *nix systems), Windows has a registry containing drive letters, there are shares (sapmnt etc.) pointing to drive letters, environment variables for two users etc.

>

> Markus

Phew! Then I will try my best to stay on *nix side.

Anyway, maybe changing drive letter at the and of copy (XCOPY?) procedure could eliminate most of the problems (except shares)? Then again it is windows.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is this Windows?

Markus