cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STMS configuration in two system Landscape with DEV,QA and PRD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We have two system landscape.i.e DEV and Quality on one box and PRD is on another box.

From DEV to Quality we are using SCC1 and to PRD we are using STMS to do the transports.

We have configured the STMS by selecting standard two system land scape.

I want to use STMS to transport between DEV and Quality clients (both are on the same installlation with different client numbers).

If any one can tell me the correct way to configure the STMS , so that I can avoid using SCC1,it will be a great help.

Regards,

Bapujee Naidu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christo,

Thanks for pointing out. Actually I just read the original mail of the thread and replied. However it is possible to do so even with this landscape.

Hello Bapujee,

As I have re read and understood; client 150 is your development/customizng client and 800 is the quality testing client. Client independent and repository changes will show up any ways in client 800. What won't show up are client dependent changes and for this you need to do SCC1 for these.

However you can resolve this issue using the concept of virtual system. I have simulated a similar situation as yours on my personal SAP server and it has worked fine for me.

You need to follow the below steps for this purpose.

1. First of all suspend all transport releases from your development system and also make sure that there are no transports in the production import queue. This is critical. If you are having an approval queue (stms_qa) clear that as well. Nothing must be in buffer not even modifiable requests since you are going to change even the target group.

2. Create a virtual system using stms in your development system which I assume is your domain controller. Lets name it ZVIR.

3. After this create a consolidation transport route to ZVIR using a new target group say for example /zvir/. You also need a new transport layer say zvl. While creating the transport routeMake sure that you have mentioned a dummy client 100 (anything you like) for zvir system which configuring the transport route.

4. At the same time make sure that you are maitaining a delivery route to your production system. This is something you will already have in place now.May be aslight modification in terms of transport layer may be needed.Again make sure you have mentioned a target client(s) of the production system explicitily.

5. Now create another conolidation transport route to your development system and this time mention client 800 during route configuration.Mentioning client is very important.

6. Also at the same time make your development system as a quality assurance system. This would allow you to approve requests from client 800 of your dev system to production using stms_qa transaction. I suppose you are not using it right now.

These are the steps that you need to create the basic infrastructure and they all can be done using stms. However in order to make this thing work you still need to do some manual work.

Whenever you release a Transport from client 150 it will try to get imported into ZVIR and will show in its import queue. However it will never get imported. Now some one from your transport management team needs to check the import queue of ZVIR every 15 minutes or so and then in case if he finds any TRs waiting to be imported he needs to forward the relevant TRs (having client dependentdata only) to client 800 of your development system.May be your conultants can advice him on the TRs that need to move to client 800. All this is to be done through STMS.Make sure you are forwarding the requests to only client 800 of your development system.

Once the forwarding of relevant TRs is done then the remaining transport requests can be deleted. This will not only include the transports that have been forwarded to client 800 but also the ones that are having client independent data which does not need to me overwritten in 800.

Going further you should schedule a background job for the import of transport requests in client 800 may be at a period of 5 minutes. This will ensure auto-import of the transports into client 800. Once the TRs are imported they will show up in quality assurance queue(transaction stms_qa).

After doing testing you can approve only those TRs for which testing has succeeded and import them to production.

As I said i simulated this thing on my server and it worked fine for me but still I would recommend that you also discuss this up with SAP becasue we are talking about a live production system.

Please contact me in case of any more questions/clarifications and do let us know if this worked out for you.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Thanks alot for the detailed reply.

I have simulated the procedure in our IDES and it worked fine.

As you said I will post a message to SAP regarding our production scenario.

Thanks & Regards,

Bapujee Naidu

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bapujee,

I have done some more testing and found out that usage of virtual system can be avoided and you need just one modification in your exisiting TMS. For this all you need to do is to use the following steps.

1. I suppose at the moment you are having a consolidation route between your development and production. There must be a target group facilitating transport between these 2 systems. All you need to do is to add client 800 of your development system to this target group.

2. Now transports released to production will also come to the import queue for your development system for import in client 800. Here you can schedule a TMS import job to run periodically to import the changes into your development.

This model is simpler and doesnot include the manual forwarding of TRs but at the same time it has its disadvantages.

1. All Transports released from Development client 150 will get imported into 200 irrespective of whether the changes are client dependent or independent. This can be dangerous as some latest changes might get overwritten though it is very likely to happen on rare basis only. In such case you need to perform transports using conditional mode.

2. All TRs released from development will also show up in your production import queue as it must be happening right now. Further you won't have the option of having a Quality Assurance queue in your development system which would have by and large decided what moves into production.

So i reckon while this design is simpler and no manual effort is needed it has its disadvantages as well. Now it is upto you to decide for which one you want to go for.

I guess you can make the correct choice. Let us know which one you are going to implement finally.

Regards.

Ruchit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bapujee,

I suppose your main concern is that development and quality are on the same DB server. But it doesnot matter for TMS since both of them will be having different system names. In order to solve this issue please use the following steps:

1. make sure there are no transport requests in the import queue of your production.

2. Suspend the release of transports from your development to prodcution while you are configuring TMS into quality .

3. Log in to quality system and go to STMS. Provide the domain name same as the one you are using for development-- production transport. Here you will also need to supply info as the system name. Also in the transport tools you need to give info like DBNAME which will further distinguish between your development and quality. All in all you need to use the same steps that you used to include the production system in the TMS.

4. Finally you need to redesign the transport route so that flow of the transports is DEV->QUALITY->PRODUCTION.

Please let me know if you have more questions on this. I will try my best to solve them.

If the issue is solved please award points accordingly.

With Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ruchit,

Here both Dev and QA have the same SID, just 2 different cleints are used for Dev and QA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bapujee,

Depends on DB you can have 3 system landscape in 2 HW systems.

In your current scenario you have QA Client but for only client dependant objects.

I hope this will give you some light to the path. Need more help please send me an email at g_ramanus@yahoo.com

Good Luck

Raman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naidu,

I can think on using SCC1 only at this point. If I come across anything I will let you know.

Thanks

Christo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naidu,

You can make use of extended transports if you want transports from one client to go automatically to the other. In your case it would be from Dev to QA

Former Member
0 Kudos

George,

I dont intend to make the transports automatically,rather I want do it through STMS .

Our Dev and QA are on same DB SID i.e.client 150 is the development client and client 800 is the QA client.

Kindly help.

Regards,

Bapujee Naidu