cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrystalReports 2008 crw32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I just installed Crystal Reports 2008 and tried to use it, but every time I try to expand Create New Connection tree, in order to add some data to my report, program crashes and I receive message:

u201Ccrw32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.u201D

Do you have a solution to this problem?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir

You can your self check the cause of the error. As soon as you get the crw32.exe error, and the application shuts down

1. Click on Start -> Run -> Typ eventvwr -> click on Ok.

2. You would get the event viewer editor, click on Applications. check the log details there. Some specific details would be present there.

There are certain things that can cause this issue:

1. Data Execution prevention (DEP).

Turn off DEP and then test the issue.

2. Use of Dual Monitor.

3. If you are using a Citrix or Terminal Server. to log on to Crystal Reports

You can also refer to the Supported Platforms Guide for Crsytal Reports 2008 to make sure you are on supported platform and that's not casuing the issue.

Regards

Sourashree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys,

I am using Windows XP Professional SP3 and trial version of Crystal Reports that I downloaded on Sunday evening, so I think it is up to date. I also have full Admin rights.

I tried to reduce Hardware acceleration, but it did not help.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Crystal Reports for several times, tried Custom installation, and chose to install everything.

During repair in installation there was no errors, just this warning:

Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0

And this information:

Product: Crystal Reports 2008 -- Configuration completed successfully.

I also turned off Data Execution Prevention for Crystal Reports, and I am not using dual monitor or Citrix or Terminl Server to log on to Crystal Reports

Still when I try to expand Create New Connection tree I am getting this error message:

Faulting application crw32.exe, version 12.0.0.683, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x06000030.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 72 77 ure crw

0018: 33 32 2e 65 78 65 20 31 32.exe 1

0020: 32 2e 30 2e 30 2e 36 38 2.0.0.68

0028: 33 20 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 3 in unk

0030: 6e 6f 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 nown 0.0

0038: 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 .0.0 at

0040: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 offset 0

0048: 36 30 30 30 30 33 30 0d 6000030.

0050: 0a .

0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

You are using SP0. Download Service Pack 1 from the BusinessObjects tab above and then Downloads.

Also, verify you are a local PC Administrator. Sometimes IT departments make custom Admin profiles and push them out which doesn't always give you full rights. What you may want to do is copy CR install to your local hard drive and then log out of your network and log in as your local machine and try re-installing.

We also have a dependency on Java, install the latest from Java's web site.

You can also go to www.sysinternals.com and download Process Monitor, filter on crw32.exe and then see if those logs give you more info on what CR is trying to access but can't get to.

Also go into Explorer and check that all the .NET frameworks are installed. You should have at least 1.1 and 2.0 located in this folder but likely have 3.0 and 3.5:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Don,

You solved my problem, thank you very much. I was away from work for few days so I was not able to try your suggestions earlier.

The problem was in the .NET frameworks, I had just 1.0 so I downloaded 1.1 and 2.0 and my Crystal Reports is magically working now

Again, thank you very much and best regards

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,i have all the prerequisites installed on my system,but still the application pops an error saying that crw32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. i have .net framework 3 , and the latest version of java. can u please suggest some resolution to this problem

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,i have all the prerequisites installed on my system,but still the application pops an error saying that crw32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. i have .net framework 3 , and the latest version of java. can u please suggest some resolution to this problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try with this:

1. Reduce the 'Hardware acceleration' setting in Microsoft Windows.

2. To access the 'Hardware acceleration' setting in Microsoft Windows:

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting.

There are typically six possible settings for 'Hardware acceleration': from 'None' to 'Full'.

If you have not applied any service pack then try to apply latest service pack for CR2008.

Regards,

Shweta

0 Kudos

Need more info.

What Operating system are you using?

Any Service packs for CR and the OS installed?

Do you ahve full Admin rights to install software? Check with your IT department, sometimes they modify permissions. Cr needs full access to install and register files and update the Registry

Try doing a repair install and look at the logs to see if anything failed and make note of any warnings or errors on screen.

You should also select Custom or Change options and select all of the database connection types you will be using.

Thank you

Don