cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Periodicities in Storage Bucket Profile in DP signifies?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

In DP storage bucket profile, we have several options available for periodicities of data storage viz. Day, Week, Month,Quarter etc.

Suppose I select Day, Week and Month among the options available then what it means and how the data gets stored in the InfoCubes/database?

Do it has to do something with the way we are loading data into the Infocube i.e. weekly or monthly from Excel/ECC?

Thanks

Bishwajit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Biswajith Sir,

If you have selected only days for storing and want to display in months, the DP livecache would have to aggregate the data from 30 time buckets to one bucket for display. Same is true when editing, Disagregating. Imagine, what would hapen when you have 3 yrs Hist and 2 Yrs Future. Its 30125 which is complex and time consuming. So instead i store data at Day as well as Month. In this way i can plan at Days as well as Month without having much impact on performance of system, especially when 1000s of SKUs are planned. This is similar to concept of Aggregate POS.

Regards,

Ganesh Pai

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bishwajit,

As I have already mentioned, days is the minimum level of storage of data

for your planning.

If your planning system complies to use data on week/month also, then

it is advisable to define week and months too so that those data can be

directly used to view in planning book rather than system doing summing

up of 7 days of days data to generate 1 week data.

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bishwajit,

Sorry for my late reply.

Actually Storage bucket profile is the minimum level of storage capacity of system.

For example, if you say the minimum storage required level in weeks, then there is

no possibility that you can store and read your data in days at all.

Other scenario is that if you store your data in minimum level of days and weeks,

then obviously you can select your data in months too.

So, always the advisable setting is to have your setting at the very minimal level

that you use for your planning activities.

For example, companies that does not have PPDS in use and not having daily

forecast horizon, then they can omit storing in days.

In general, most companies opt setting storage at the minimum level in days.

Hope, I answered your question.

Please confirm

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil,

As per ur explanation, if I only select days among the other options available, then automatically the data can be stored/aggregated/selected at weekly and monthly level. So what is requirement of selecting all three viz. days,weeks and months.why we are given the option for multiselect if only one option i.e. days is enough?

Thanks

Bishwajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bishwajit,

I explain you again in detail.

There are two time based buckete profiles in demand planning one is

Storage bucket profile and another is planning bucket profile.

SB profile defines time buckets in such a way that data based on a

given planning area is saved in DP or in SNP.

For eg, if you say to system that your data needs to be saved in system

as both days and in months, then you need to select tick both in day and

month in storage bucket profile and this is the setting that system looks

after to start defining the time series.

So based on this setting, system start saving its bunch of data time

series as mentioned in storage bucket profile. This setting also governs

the storage space of your data in DP and in SNP.

Also this setting is used during release of plan from DP to SNP

Hope it is clear now. Please confirm

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for the explanation...

But suppose I have selected Days,weeks and months in my Storage bucket profile and i am loading the historical data through excel sheet in the following format of Data:

ASIA,DELHI,DELHI,FMCG,SOAP,75GM,PARK AVENUE75,FOOD WLD,INDIA,NORTH,DELHI,20060101,1000,EA

ASIA,DELHI,DELHI,FMCG,SOAP,75GM,PARK AVENUE75,FOOD WLD,INDIA,NORTH,DELHI,20060201,2000,EA

ASIA,DELHI,DELHI,FMCG,SOAP,75GM,PARK AVENUE75,FOOD WLD,INDIA,NORTH,DELHI,20060301,3000,EA

ASIA,DELHI,DELHI,FMCG,SOAP,75GM,PARK AVENUE75,FOOD WLD,INDIA,NORTH,DELHI,20060401,4000,EA

where data is for 4 months from 20060101 to 20060401 i.e. i am sending the data in months.

As per ur explanation now this data should be first segregated into days, weeks and then it will be stored into the database.

If this is the case then what is its advantage and y not we directly save the data at 'Days' level i.e at lowest level inspite of selecting Days,weeks and months?

Thanks

Bishwajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Senthil,

I am eagerly waiting for ur reply to my question..as I guess u r the one who can answer that..

Thanks

Bishwajit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Biswajit,

Storage Buckets Profile defines the time buckets in which data based on a given planning area is saved in Supply & Demand Planning.

If you always want to save the data in a fixed number of days at the beginning of the planning horizon, and after that in a larger bucket, enter the number of rolling days in the storage buckets definition.

To define the buckets in which data is planned in interactive supply or demand planning, create a planning buckets profile.

The data gets stored in livecache/database as how we are defining the storage bucket profile.

It has nothing to do with loading of infocube.

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Senthil...But I dint get u..

Can U throw some more light by giving one example?

Also, as u Mentioned 'If you always want to save the data in a fixed number of days at the beginning of the planning horizon, and after that in a larger bucket, enter the number of rolling days in the storage buckets definition'.

As per ur statement, u are trying to say that we can enter the no of days for which we want to save the data in days, but in Storage Bucket profile we dont have any option of selecting the no of days, we can simply check mark the days.

Can u pls. explain something more regarding this?

Thanks

Bishwajit