cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System migration (4.6C, new hardware, new storage)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now we have the requirement to migrate our 4.6C system based on AIX 5.2, Oracle 9.2.0.4 from a IBM P650 Hareware to 2 IBM P570 hareware.

OLD:

SAP 4.6C (database instance, central instance) , AIX 5.2, Oracle 9.2.0.4 on single IBM P650.

New:

SAP 4.6C (database instance, central instance, HA installation, add new dialog instance), AIX 5.2, Oracle 9.2.0.4 on 2 IBM P570, also new storage.

HA:

P570-A (database instance, central instance)

P570-B (dialog instance)

-

Question:

1 - which procedure should i choose? db restore using bakcup or R3load export/import?

2 - what's the precautions we should be aware of?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would do a homogeneous system copy (backup/restore).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you give your reason? Is there any SAP profile need to adapted manually after the restore?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A reason for what? You want to "move" the database/system to a new physical box - so have to do a copy.

You can, of course, use R3load also - but that would be more time consuming than doing a simple system copy.

And another advise: I seriously highly suggest you upgrade your database. Oracle 9.2.x is out of support already, the version you use (9.2.0.4) is even too old for an emergency support.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since we need to change this installation to HA and add a new dialog instance during this 'move to new box'. And i am not familiar with the system copy procedure.

So can you give a hint about is there any adjustment we need to perform manually after the baclup/restore procedure. (which in my understanding should be like: install the new system "HA installation and new dialog instance"on the new hardware, and perform the db restore)?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Since we need to change this installation to HA and add a new dialog instance during this 'move to new box'. And i am not familiar with the system copy procedure.

Oh...

> So can you give a hint about is there any adjustment we need to perform manually after the baclup/restore procedure. (which in my understanding should be like: install the new system "HA installation and new dialog instance"on the new hardware, and perform the db restore)?

Check the installation guides on the installation master CD on how to install a HA environment - or use

http://service.sap.com/instguides

--> SAP Business Suite Applications

--> SAP ERP

--> SAP R/3

--> Release 4.6C SR2

--> <choose your database>

and

SAP R/3 Homogeneous System Copy

as a start.

If you have never done that and never done a system copy I suggest you get a consultant on-site to assist you. It's too much here in the forum to try to "explain" what has to be done without knowing anything about your environment.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks