Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background job problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello folks,

I have a small little problem related to background job.I ran a background job which transfers file from SAP to third party through outbound.When i ran the program related to this job on foreground it is running correctly and file is transferred to third party.When i scheduled a job for this program it gives me Error like this <b>Printer name "" not defined </b> .I can not figure out problem Please help.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Looks like this program generates a spool and the is why its asking for printer name as well. Pass the printer name also in the job details

Regards,

Ravi

naimesh_patel
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Mainitain one printer name in your user defaults. May it can be the reason of the problem..

Regards,

Naimesh

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi nirad,

you missed the Printer name. you need to pass the printer ,give the printer name in spool params.to avoid that error.

Regards

vijay

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

use spad transaction to set your default printer.

refer these links:

http://www.finsvc.duke.edu/sapr3/printing.html

http://web.mit.edu/ist/discovery/enter-print/recsver3.html

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

where to give printer name please specify

0 Kudos

Give default name of printer for your User name in SU01 transaction .

or

while defining background job specify printer name

in print specification .

Regards

Siddharth

0 Kudos

Hello Nirad,

When a Object/report is set to run in background Mode, on the 'Background PrintParameters' pop up window you need to specify the field 'OutputDevice' (usually i set it to 'LOCL'). On the same window under the 'Spool Control' tab may be you have checked the 'Print Immed' that was the reason it was looking out for the Printer.

If the Printer is not specified automaticall the request is forwarded to SPOOL.

Hope this was helpful.

- PSK