cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assignment of Software Component Version to Software Unit in SLD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know whether it is possible to assign an existing SWCV to a Software Unit in SLD after creation or not?

In the SAP SWCV SAP ERP 6.0 as well as SAP ECC 6.0 there is a Software Unit called SAP ECC Server with identical SWCV.

How would I proceed when I would like to achieve the same. When creating a SWCV I can specify exactly one Product and a corresponding Software Unit but after creation I didn't find any way of assigning the SWCV to another Software Unit. Is this possible in SLD or only via CIM Models?

Thanks in advance,

Mane

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

A software unit and software component are the same if i am not wrong.

Do you want to add a software component to multiple products?

REgards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like the software unit is not a real entity but a logical one grouping SWCVs.

But as described in the content delivered by SAP there are SWCVs that are part of more than one software unit and therefore also assigned to more than just one Product. Is this possible within SLD?

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

I have tried the following two cases.

Case1 )

1) Create PRODUCT1

2) Create SU1

3) Create SWCV1 1.0

4) Create SU2 for the same product

5) Tried to create SWCV1 in SU2. But got an error saying a software component SWCV1 already exists in PRODUCT1 (Although it belonged to anouther software unit).

Case 2)

1) Create PRODUCT1

2) Create PRODUCT2

3) Create SU1 in both products.

4) Create SWCV1 in both the products.

5) It accepted.

My Conclusion:

Software components with same names can exist in different products.

Software components with same names cannot be created in the same product even if they belong to different software units.

REgards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, so from your point of view a SWCV can anyway only exist within exactly one product, correct?

I was wondering whether a SWCV for example INSURANCE 600 could be part of both the products SAP ERP and also SAP ECC as it is in the SAP content.

So what you just proved is that there could be two entities of INSURANCE 600 with the same name once for SAP ERP and once for SAP ECC. But I guess this is not how it is intended to and why Software units were introduced??? But if this is the case I don't know where I could accomplish the assignment of SWCV to Software unit (except the assignment during SWCV creation).

Thanks,

Mane

Answers (0)