cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic printing of a document linked to an Equipment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day SAP Experts,

I have a question which I hope there is a simple answer to within SAP.

I have created some documents that are stored in a seperate pc and are linked to SAP PM equipments. (Transaction CV01N)

I can follow the link from the equipment back to the document, open and view/change this document and also when the document is open, I can print it.

So far so good, now is the tricky bit, I create a PM work order for this Equipment, I can see there is a document linked to the equipment, so I want this documnet to be printed automatically when I release and print the work order.

To put it simply, my request is similar to having received an email with an attachment, I want the attachment to be printed in full when I request the email to printed.

In the customising of DMS I have found :

Application Type

This key controls the processing of original application files with applications in document info records.

Use

For authorization purposes, you can define the following settings for each application, depending on the data carrier type:

1 - Display

2 - Change

3 - Print

But I cannot get option 3 to work or am I misunderstanding the use of "3-Print"

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

IN dc30 DEFINE WORKSTATION APPLICATION 'Application Type'

This key controls the processing of original application files with applications in document info records.

For authorization purposes, you can define the following settings for each application, depending on the data carrier type:

1 - Display

2 - Change

3 - Print

Here generaly Link Server is used.

if u want block 'print option' for original file ,while processing DIR, u could not select print option for Link server.

so that your file[appplication] only supports Display and change option.

note: only affects selected Document type.

Also check with filter options in Define profile.

Benakaraj

??P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benakaraj,

Thank you very much for this reply it explains my requirements.

DO you know of anywhere on the net I can get some information on the customising of DMS, I have checked the SAP website and the have not training course in this module scheduled in the Uk??

Again thanks for your explaination

Leslie.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leslie

The print function in workstation applications won't automatically print the documents attached to an equipment. This function is designed to allow you to print using the print button in a SAP DIR or from CV04N, not for automated printing when a work order is released. This would require either an ABAP enhancement or a product like Seal.

The problem with linking a document to an equipment and printing it is that the equipment could have any documents linked including photos and numerous procedures or work instructions designed for different tasks. Unless all documents are relevant for all tasks, you could easily find yourself in a position where you end up printing 5 documents you don't need every time you release an order. This is the reason that the best technical solution is rather to link the document as a product resource tool to a maintenance order or task list. This indicates in SAP that the document is a tool required for that specific maintenance order or task and you can select different documents for different tasks and the order in which the documents should be used because without this the results could have serious safety impacts. I.e. ensure that the person follows the tag out procedure before trying to do another task on the equipment.

Regards,

Athol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

Thanks for this, its a real case of "finding new chalanges" when I think I found the answer.

Do you know if it is possible to save PDF files in DMS and then access then through CV04N?

Regards Leslie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. You should be able to save almost any file format in DMS.

Use Transaction Code DC30 to configure your application types.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would highly recommend you look at a product called Seal to get this functionality. Seal allows you automatically print documents linked to equipments, or linked as a PRT to a maintenance order or task list.

The functionality in Seal is fairly powerful and includes the ability to paginate the entire work package, print a large number of work packages in bulk, automatically add a page with notifications if a document is missing or has been deleted.