cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with LightSpeed Rendering and SAPGUI Integration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I created some Dynpros in Release 7.00, that embed Web Dynpros via class cl_gui_wdr_viewer in a custom container. I used the method fire_event of this class to send an event from the Dynpro to the embedded Web Dynpro, where I can react in the action handler of the active view.

To send an event from the Web Dynpro to the Dynpro, I used the method fire of the class cl_wdr_sapgui_integration. For this, I added an event handler in the Dynpro:

SET HANDLER cl_event_receiver=>wd_event FOR webdynpro_viewer.

Worked well with release 7.00, but in 7.01, the events aren't received. I debugged the function fire_event, where a javascript is sent to the Web Dynpro:

window.frames[lastShowFrame].sapWD_Request.postEvent(...

In 7.01, lastShowFrame is not defined.

By deactivating light speed rendering via Web Dynpro Application parameter WDLIGHTSPEED = '', all works fine in 7.01 as well.

It seems that these methods for event sending aren't adjusted to the new rendering engine, but on the other hand, only the new rendering engine should be used and new developments are only available in the light speed engine.

The demo programs that show how to implement this event sending, are called DEMO_GUI_WDR_VIEWER1-3 and DEMO_START_WD_IN_PLACE1-2 in Release 7.00, and don't exist in Release 7.01. But the classes and methods for sending the events are still available.

So how is it possible to integrate Web Dynpros in classic SAPGUI Dynpros with the new light speed rendering engine, if we need to send events from and to the Web Dynpro?

Thanks, Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

That is because there was a decision to deprecate the SAPGUI integration framework. That is why the example applications where removed and the latest versions of the rendering framework doesn't support the events. The overall limitation is now listed in note 1098009 and note 989286. OSS Note 1148323 documentes the deletion of the example applications because of the de-support of this framework overall.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, but that's some very bad news. These integration-classes were mentioned on help.sap com and even official SAP-samples showed the use of these classes.

In my current development, I rely heavily on this functionality, which works great in release 7.0. Is there a possible workaround to achieve the same functionality in the Light Speed rendering engine? Or can I be sure that if I switch to classic rendering, I don't run into troubles in one of the next releases?

Thanks, Chris

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>

> Thanks for the info, but that's some very bad news. These integration-classes were mentioned on help.sap com and even >official SAP-samples showed the use of these classes.

I don't know the whole history on what happened but, all such materials and references have since been removed.

> In my current development, I rely heavily on this functionality, which works great in release 7.0. Is there a possible workaround to achieve the same functionality in the Light Speed rendering engine? Or can I be sure that if I switch to classic rendering, I don't run into troubles in one of the next releases?

>

> Thanks, Chris

There isn't really a full alternative. To host SAPGUI content and WDA content side by side on the same page, you are supposed to use the NetWeaver Portal and place both iViews into a single page. However you don't necessarily have the eventing framework. In the Portal we have Portal Eventing but I've never seen a way for that to work from SAPGUI.

I wouldn't recommend continuing with this SAPGUI integration approach. Only Lightspeed rendering will receive enhancements and new UI elements. Plus only Lightspeed contains the significant performance enhancements we did to the WD rendering. You are giving up a lot of funcitonality by staying with classic rendering. There is no promise that the SAPGUI eventing will continue to work in the classic rendering either. It could disappear at any support package application or stop working because of technical incompatibilites.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thanks again (although it's not quite the answer I was hoping for...).

I will take a look at the Netweaver Portal, maybe that's an option.

Chris

frank_wagner2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

just one short comment from my side: I had same problem (used gui eventing in 7.00 and lost it with lightspeed), but my development is on SAP solution manager. Here even standard transaction solman_workcenter use the old technique to keep events running (by deactivating lightspeed). So as long as Solman Developer teams has no workaround, I will continue to do it same way...

Best Regards,

Frank

PS: Thomas, I think you are everywhere, just read some lines from you BSP book yesterday, still brilliant...