cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me understand Update type in ODS update rule

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I need some help to understand the difference between two update types i.e. Addition and Overwrite for ODS update rule. Can some one help me understand with some examples? Also help me understand what influence ODS key fields has over these two update methods?

Thanks and Regards,

Raj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

this also can be of some help:

<b>Update Type</b>

You use the update type to control if and how a key figure or a data field is updated in the data target.

Update with Aggregation Type of the Key Figure: New values are updated.

The aggregation type, meaning how these values are updated if the primary keys are similar, is displayed. It is defined during the definition of the key figures.

There are currently three types of aggregation:

Summation, Minimum, and Maximum.

If one of these aggregation types is specified in the key figure definition, it is transfered for the update. Otherwise summation is selected.

The maximum, minimum, or the sum of these values is formed with similar primary keys and new values.

<b>Overwrite:</b> This option is available only with ODS objects and InfoObjects. The aggregation type (independently of the key figure definition) is overwritten. With similar primary keys and new values, the old value is overwritten.

<b>No update:</b> The key figure/data field is NOT updated, meaning that the value of this key figure/this data field remains unchanged in the data target.

Regards,

dhanya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj

The main difference is

Suppose when a customer sends a record of say 200 items as first sales order and immediately his requirement has changed to say 150 and in case the first order is loaded into BW. If the ODS Object update mode is in Additive then in order to update the correct data we have to minus the difference i.e. 50 from the first sales order. If the ODS Object is in overwrite mode then there is no need for you send the difference all u need to do is upload the new second order that will overwrite the existing record.

Hope that clears your doubt

Ranganath

Former Member
0 Kudos