cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization Variables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to use an authorization variable without it defaulting all the data from the roles into the selection (variable) screen.

For Example: we are using an authorization variable for plant, created as a selection option and ready for input. When the user executes the report every plant they have roles for defaults into the variable screen.

If we use an authorization variable created with multiple singe values not ready for input and add another variable with input, then we do not get the default but then the report will not run for just one plant. It runs for all plants that the user has roles for...

What we are trying to accomplish is to have the plant as a selection in the variable screen (without default of the roles (authorizations)) and to be able to enter one plant at a time, even if the person has authorizations to multiple plants.

If anyone can assist I would appriciate a response asap as I am trying to complete a project this week and I need to fix this as part of the project.

Thank you!

Caroline De Laurell

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Caroline,

This is possible, but you would need to create a simple char varaible on Plant, instead of an Auth variable. The auth for each user will still work provided that the correct roles are maintained (for Plant access). In this case, the variable will not be pre-populated and will neither run for all plants the user is authorised to see. When the query runs, they will need to enter the plant value in the variable screen and will get data if they have entered a plant they are authorised for.

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Bhanu.

I have one more issue that I need to fix and am not certain if it is possible.

The change worked but the person running these specific reports wants to enter a range of plants and within the range some of the plants he does not have access too. He wants the report to pull up the ones he has access to and not give him an error for no authorizations.

For Example: He has acces to plants in the 1000, 1100, 1300, 1700 and 2700 company codes but not in the 1400 - 1700 or 1700 - 2600. He wants to run the report with an internal of 1001 to 2703 and only get data for plants he has authorizations to.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Caroline, the interval should work without any issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are getting an authorization error. Would you know why?

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Does the report work if only authorised values are input?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it does and if you put in ones with no autho it gives you the error. so it is working ok that way but not when you do an interval????

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, it will work when you give only auth values. I think I have seen this working, but it is difficult for me to test as I have all auth...

Why does the user wish to enter this range? Would personalization of the variable help here?

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is the error I am getting

No Authorization (Or Everything is Filtered Out)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So what I thought must be from a different scenario...will the user need to enter a different range each time? Else a workbook can be created with the plant filters.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We need the report to do this for everyone in the business if they decide to do a range. The person that wants this done is the Business Owner of the Project. He wants his people to have to do as little navigation as possible.

It is even giving an error if you run the report wide open which seems strange as it should just pick up your authorizations if you don't place anything in plant on the variable screen. I was wondering if maybe it might be something in the role????