cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing TREX indexes between portal instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi people,

We created several TREX search indexes in our development portal and we need to reuse them in our productive environment.

As I read in I understand that the indexes cannot be transported between portal instances.

My question is: Is there any way to access existing TREX indexes in new portal instances ?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

KarstenH
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

of course you can use the same TREX server from two different portals.

I assume though, that the issue will be, that the resource IDs and subsequently access URLs will not be the same on the two portals. Or that, for other reasons, you will not be able to ensure abolute synchronicity of KM content in the two portals.

=> Cannot use same index for not exactly same content...

Regards, Karsten

PS: In this rough context, please also have a look at the linked thread and at the text below, concerning TREX use by totally different apps.

-

When running several solutions against one TREX, currently you, in the project, have to ensure the following:

- availability of a TREX Server release that is compatible to all the respective solution releases (check the PPMS or PAM entries of DMS, EP, SRM, etc.)

- adequate sizing (see above link to distributed systems)

- maintenance of the proper TREX address in all solutions

AND MOST IMPORTATNTLY:

Although TREX does offer index namespaces, most solutions do not address that yet and create indexes in one common directory on the TREX Server.

Thus, if more than one of the solutions creates technical index names on the TREX Server that are likely to reoccur (e.g. "Test" is created on TREX Server with that directory name, rather than with some techID as directory name), you have to educate the future administrators/powerusers of the project to create only indexes that follow a naming conventiont to avoid index name conflicts (e.g. start all index names with solution prefix "DMS_...", "xRPM_...")

Note:

Using one TREX instance instead of several only provides "IT-side integration". It does not produce an information integration. Each solution will only search in its own indexes.

An enterprise search over KM, ERP, BI and more will be offered with the SAP NetWeaver release <b>after</b> 2004s.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Karsten,

Your explanation clarified my doubts and solved my problem.

Daniel

Sacco

Answers (0)