cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal/External number range

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks ,

How are internal & external number ranges handled in MDM ?

In R/3 - you can define them but how do we do it in MDM

Regards,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

If I understand the question correctly. You are talking about the automatic id generation. If that is case

You can use the Auto Id data type. Or if you want to have a custom calculation you can use a calculated field also.

the problem with the Auto Id is, it is just like a sequence, there is no way you can reset it at MDM Level.

One way you can reset is at Database level or,

other way is Delete the field and create it again then it will reset to its initial value.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subbu,

As far as I know - auto ID will generate auto ID only for the "ID" filed how do we make it generate auto ID within a particular range, for material number ?

Regards

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinay,

Try to use a caluculated field with an expression like 1000 + 1 if you want the number range to start from 1001.

Try the following: Create an Auto ID field and create another field which is a Calculated field. In this calculation expression specify 1000 + <Auto ID field>. I never tried this scenario, but it should work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would rater avoid Calculation Fields for number ranges.

You have to know what the previous value was, to calculate the Unique Id for the current record.

When multiple users are accessing and creating new records, the Uniqueness may go for a toss.

In R/3 we have buffering of number ranges. So internal number ranges locking mechanism works fine.

But in MDM, Auto ID is a safe bet than Calculation Fields.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Adhappan,

If calculated field for numbers ranges is risky then can you pls suggest a method where I can specify a particular number range for a master data.

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

You may use "Key Generation Property of Client Systems" in MDM Console.

When a master data object is distributed by MDM to a CLIENT system, and the master data object does not already exist in the Client System, MDM has to generate a new Key for the Client System record.

Key Generation for new records can be specified as follows:

- None: New records will not have keys

- Range: MDM automatically generates keys based on values you specify for the From and To properties

- Qualified Range: MDM automatically generates keys for the specified single-valued lookup field based on values you specify using the Range Property.

Note: You do this in the Clients pane of the MDM Console

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

As of now I can only think of Calculated fields if you want to go for a specific number range. With Auto Id by default the number range starts from 1.

One more problem with the calculated field is:

Lets say you have a calculated field "cfield",

an Auto Id field called "Id".

cfield has expression 1000+Id.

For existing records, the calculated field value is populated automatically.

But lets say u import 100 records using the import manager into the repository, the AutoId field values are populated automatically for those hundred records. But the calculated field("cfield") values are not populated automatically for those 100 records.

You have to go to the Data Manager and select the 100 records and right click and select "Recalculate" to populate the calculate field values.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Adhappan,

But how will key generation aid in number range. It will help only in generating a number series from a particular system.

Suppose I have a field called matl number, I will not be able to link the key generation to this matl number.. or can I ?

Regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subbu,

We have tried out the calculated fields as suggested by you . It seems to be working fine but .. how do we ensure that the number generation doesn't cross my number range. We tried some validations .. but it doesn't seem to be working.

Another workaround we have in mind is... create this number range login in a webdynpro application - this will apart from fulfiling all my number range requirements ... it will also have the advantage of resetting anytime.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vinay,

Did the calculated field values populated automatically after the import ?

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vinay,

You have to determine whether SAP R/3 will be the System of Record or MDM.

If SAP R/3 is the system of Record, then Number Ranges in R/3 will take care of both External and Internal Number Range.

In that case, MDM will import the data using the Import Manager. So you dont have a issue with External Number Ranges.

If MDM is the System of Record, then use the Auto Id feature as Subbu discussed.

In this case, you have to set up a Number Range Interval in R/3 which has a range similar to the Auto Id.

That way the Auto generated ID can be syndicated to the R/3 System and the Auto Id will be in the Extenal Number range as defined in Transaction SNRO.

Hope this helps.