cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Migration: (Oracle and SAP/AIX) to (Oracle/Aix and SAP on Linux/x86_64)

JonathanHuckle
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone

we are planning an OS Migration.

Our Current Platform is AIX - for both Oracle Database and Sap Components - 64 bit

We have ABAP, Java, Double Stack and Portals - the full range of SAP Products

Our Target Platform is - Oracle Stays on Aix, ALL SAP Components on Linux (Probably SuSE-10), Hosts=Blades

We need guidelines best to migrate the SAP Components, in particular sizing. We would also like to use this project to introduce Stand Alone Enqueue Servers where neccessary and Replicated Enqueue Servers for High Availability. We are also looking in ACC to control everything

e.g.

Current Large System - Abap, 2Tb DB (Oracle) and 1 Central Server (Total_size_mb=20000, CI and DB on same host 20k SAPS) and 2 Appl Servers (each Total_size_mb=450000, both on same host 16k SAPS )

OS Migration

AIX - Oracle DB no change( fewer CPU's, less memory)

Linux - 1 Standalone Enqueue Server (memory = ?),

1 Replicated Enqueue Server,

1 Primary Appl (Cluster Failover Ready, memory = ?),

n Appl Server (memory = ?), where n is a number

are there any guildes, rules, "bauch gefuhl" tips and tricks you can give us

Thanks in advance

Jonathan Huckle

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JonathanHuckle
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Rossen

thank you for the quick and the link to the installation and update documentation. I could not find any documentation here for an *OS Migration*

the database is not being migrated, only the SAP side.

As a migration path, we install SAP on on Linux using sapinst and a dummy database and dummy host aliases - no problem at al.

We can then stop the dummy database, change the host alias and then the linux sap installation uses the aix database - all no problem.

what we need know is help and tips and tricks in translatiing SAP aix profiles into sensible SAP Linux profiles.

As an extra complication we are not doing a straight 1 to 1 migration, we are implementing Standalone Enqueue Servers and Replicated Enqueue Servers

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

I think I understand the information you need is more specific and might not be available in the installation guides. There is a greater chance to find such kind of information on [SDN|https://www.sdn.sap.com/] (that is, here

Just tried to search SDN using the search form on the top right. Searching with "os migration sap" as keywords returns hundreds of results, and more than half of them are support notes (a.k.a. SAP Notes). In your situation, I'd try to use a few different combinations of search words, and will probably check first the information in the SAP Notes and then in the forums.

Hope this helps,

Rossen

p.s. IANASE (I am not a SAP expert), and unfortunately cannot provide you a more detailed answer, sorry. You could also try asking in the [Database & OS Platforms|/community [original link is broken]; forums.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

In general, the guides for upgrade are available in the Support Portal. You can reach them in the following way:

1. Go to http://service.sap.com/support

2. Choose Release & Upgrade Info on the top.

3. Choose either Upgrade Info or Installation & Upgrade Guides and browse the guides.

Hope this way you will be able to find the migration information you need.

Best regards,

Rossen