Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a program in background without variant

nishanthbhandar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Please let me know if variant entry is a must for background execution.Is it possible to execute a program without a variant? If so , how and where .. ?

Cheers

Nishanth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. After entering the selection criteria, execute in background using F9.

2. Make all the parameters optional and fill them in the intiailization event. Then its not mandatory to have a variant.

Regards,

Ravi

Note :Please mark the helpful answers

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

hai nishant,

without a variant you cannot schedule the report in the background.

cheers

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

GIve the program name in se38 and press f9.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. After entering the selection criteria, execute in background using F9.

2. Make all the parameters optional and fill them in the intiailization event. Then its not mandatory to have a variant.

Regards,

Ravi

Note :Please mark the helpful answers

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

from SE38 from your selection screen you can directly set the BACkground job, Just click on Function key F9 and then give Print Prameters, then Job settings , then click on immediate job and save.

Regards

vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i think u can do it thru transaction sm37.

hope this helps,

priya.

nishanthbhandar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you guys.I was actually trying to figure out the messages in the log when you run a background job.If you do not specify a variant then an internal number appears there for the variant name.For example &0000000001.That is why i was trying to do reverse engineering to figure out from where the variant number was coming from.

Cheers

Nishanth

Message was edited by: Nishanth Bhandar