cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used of Sap text variable with replacement path in Bo designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I created a univers based on a SAp BW query. In this query I used a text variable in order to get dynamic header columns.

The text variable is done by using "replacement path" that is the text is derived automatically from the user input triggered by a sap bw variable.

example :

the query contains a restricted key figure which shows net values for a selected year based on variable PYEAR.

The name of this restricted keyfigure is &ZYEAR& where ZYEAR is the text variable with replacement path from the variable PYEAR.

When generated the univers based on this query I get component &YEAR&.

When I use this unvers in WebI my result containts header with &YEAR& althougth I selected for example the year 2006.

According to several how to and white papers on SDN , it seems that text variables with replacement path are supported. So I am disapointed by this result.

Can you give me advise to get a rigth result ?

thanks a lot

Olivier Doubroff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ingo.

is this behaviour also supported in Xcelsius ? That is is-it possible to get dynamic header column according to SAp text variable ?

I try to find the way to achieve this result by I didn't see the solution for that.

rgd

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

just to be sure we are on the same page. What I mean in the previous response is that as an example in Web Intelligence you can easily use a dimension objects like the Calendar Year as part of a column heading when you create a report.

In Xcelsius you would leverage a similar design practice.

both of these approaches do not leverage the text variable.

ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ingo,

I have used replacement path variable for dynamic heading of my key figures in BI, Now when i am creating universe and from universe webI, I am not getting that dynamic heading in my BI field, Is there any way to fetch that dynamic heading of that key figure in WebI?

Ex. I am giving the Fiscal Year Period (say Jan 2010) and In Bex, I am getting Jan 2010 Sales and Next column is previous column for that which shows (Dec 2009 Sales).

Hope I am clear?

Thanks & Regards,

Rishit

0 Kudos

Hi Rishit,

I am trying to achieve the same as you, but it seems like text variables in restricted key figures do not work. I am using BO XI3.1 SP3 and SAP BW 7.01 SP6.

A work-around for me has been to use the "user response" function in webi to create a webi variable that holds the dynamic text title. If the user inputs Jan 2010, I change the input to a date using the "user response" and "ToDate" functions in the webi variable editor. After changing the input to a date I use the RelativeDate to extract 1 month (e.g. 25 days) from the user input. Then I have both Jan 2010 and Dec 2010 as webi variables to use as headers for my restricted key figures.

The formulas can easily become a little long, but by tweaking the user response string, you should be able to get dynamic headings by using webi functionality. But be aware that you need one webi variable for each dynamic heading if you use this method.

Let me know if it works or if I can help more:-)

Best regards,

Morten

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for this reply.

So if text variable are supported does-that mean that in crystal report or Xcelsius or WebI i can get dynamic header column texts ?

I created a query as webservice and then a Xcelsius report ; but I get static column header texts (with &var&...). I thougth that assuming that text varaiables are supported would mean that I can retrieve the same result than in Bex report. That is column with dynamic texts according to variable values.

Am-I wrong ?

rgds

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the textvariables has to be replaceable at the time of reading the meta-data - not at the point of reading the actual data.

keep in mind that all the tools like Crystal Reports or Web INtelligence allows you to use data that you retrieved in the report also as column headers. so you can easily create the same functional in the design tools

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are right Text variables using replacement path are supported but you have to notice that an universe object name cannot be replaced at runtime by a user answer (SAP variable, @Prompt).

This is a standard behavior of universes: this is not a limitation due to SAP variables.

That's why your object name is not "translated".

Only the data reflect the variables value not the metadata name.

Didier