cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading an excel file in WebDynpro and writing it on application server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have designed a web dynpro application. In this application I have used a File Upload UI element. User attaches an excel file using this button.

I need to read this excel file data, perform a certain validation on same and write it on to application server. As per the analysis that I have done so far, I have not been able to read excel file the way we read it in an ABAP program.

Can any body suggest a way using which we can read excel file data and write it on to application server.

NOTE: Validation part can be eliminated if it is not possible but writing the data on application server must be achieved.

Points would be the best way for appreciating the sigficant responses!!

Thanks,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no way of reading excel file data in webdynpro. we have decided to use a text file.

uday_gubbala2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

Once you have uploaded a file using the [FileUpload |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/b3/be7941601b1d09e10000000a155106/frameset.htm]UI element the entire contents of the file are present in XSTRING format inside the context attribute which you have bound to the "data" property of your FileUpload. You can make use of the ABAP datasets concept to write the contents on to the desired server location.

Try to also go through the last posting by Thomas Jung's in this [thread|;. Hope it helps give you an idea as to how you can proceed.

Regards,

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Please note that I need to attach only excel file, I know that CSV and tab delimited files do work on WebDynpro but as per the requirement its only excel file that can be attached.

Thanks,

Ashish

uday_gubbala2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

I see that you have updated the thread before I could finish with my earlier response. Unfortunately the approach that I had suggested would work only if you could have succesfully upload your file using the FileUpload UI element. And as how you have quoted yourself, "Its not possible to directly upload an excel file in WDA. You would have to save it into another version like tab delimited format." I dont see any workaround by which you can directly get to upload an Excel file using WDA.

Regards,

Uday