cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Refresh Universe when SAP BW Query Changes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have a Universe based on BW Query, how can I refresh Universe, whenever I have to change BW Query?

Thanking in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member685503
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If your going to change anything in BW Query. Make sure that you don't delete anything because if you do your Universe is screwed. And if you add anything in the query the refresh structure functionality should do the trick.

- Kit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to comment on the last reply with new features we have added in XI 3.1 SP2.

You can of course update the BEx query by adding, removing or renaming metadata.

You can do also same workflows at universe level.

When a universe is refreshed only metadata that come from the BEx query are taken into account.

All metadata you have added manually in the universe are not taken into account during refresh operation.

By the way we recommend to run "Check integrity" tool to validate the universe including manually added objects.

Moreover we also recommend to use as much as possible @Select function in the universe to guarantee that the objects you have created are referencing BEx query metadata and therefore will be in sync after a refresh.

Last in SP2 we also take into account metadata coming from the BEx query you have deleted in the universe: an option lets the Designer to regenerate or not those deleted objects.

Didier

former_member793810
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is always a nice practice to put what your environment is and what version of BOBJ you are running and what Service Packs and Fix Packs you have installed.

Regards,

Bashir Awan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To refresh a universe irrespective of data source, Click on View menu -> Refresh Structure (2nd option I guess) and the universe is automatically gets refreshed and accomodate the changes.

Cheers,

Suresh ALuri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know. This "Refresh Structure" is there if the universe is based on non SAP BW.

Since my Universe is based on SAP BW Query, it does not allow me to refresh. The "View --> Refresh Structure" is disabled.

And Universe does not refresh the changes automatically.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is possible in release XI 3.1

Ingo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have access to CMC. IF so then check for ur profile permissions in Designer. I.e. whether you are eligible for refresh a universe or not. BO Administrator can disbale/enable this option to users based on their roles.

Cheers,

Suresh ALuri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SR,

I Agree with Ingo and Didier.

All the universes which are built on SAP BW are called OLAP Universes.

If you are on BO XIR2:

For all OLAP Universes

View --> Refresh Structure is disabled. Everytime SAP BW Query (BEx Query) changes you need to recreate the universe. ( I think you need to rebuild the universe connection too).

If you are on BO 3.1:

For all OLAP Universes

Follow steps mentioned by Didier.

-Thanks,

DEEPU.

former_member193430
Participant
0 Kudos

Thankyou to all and Ingo, I was looking for the same question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the Universe Designer you have to select the menu "View" then the menu option "Refresh Structure".

A wizard is then displayed and you have to fill serveral parameters prior to refresh the universe.

Didier