cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirm that Solution Manager 7 cannot be installed on a 32-bit windows sys

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm running across bits and pieces that indicate we cannot install a new Solution Manager 7 EhP1 on our 32-bit Windows 2003 server.

We currently have a 3.2 Solution Manager installed in a 620 system on that 32-bit box.

Note 1145779 states that you can't do a new install but you can upgrade from a Sol Man 4.0 SR3 system, ending up with a Sol Man 7 EhP system. Is this the case? Has anyone done this?

We will not be getting 64-bit systems for at least a couple more years, and need to upgrade our entire landscape from ECC5 to ECC6 and wanted, must I think, use Sol Man 7 EhP to do so.

Also...

I am flat unable to find Solution Manager install or upgrade files in the SAP Software Distribution Center. I have tried searches and using the index. It just doesn't seem to be there. Am I missing something? Is it not available for download?

Thanks for any info you have on this!

Laurie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Need follow up info on the Java AddIn

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We currently have a 3.2 Solution Manager installed in a 620 system on that 32-bit box.

I HIGHLY suggest to buy a new 64bit box (all new Intel or AMD servers can do 64bit those days).

> Note 1145779 states that you can't do a new install but you can upgrade from a Sol Man 4.0 SR3 system, ending up with a Sol Man 7 EhP system. Is this the case? Has anyone done this?

There is no "upgrade" between SolMan 4.0 and SolMan 7.0 - this was just a renaming. The packages (components) are still named "4.0".

> We will not be getting 64-bit systems for at least a couple more years

??? You can buy a cheap 64bit box (as stated above - even most PCs can run 64bit Windows). I'd say that every server bought in the last two years can do 64bit.

>, and need to upgrade our entire landscape from ECC5 to ECC6 and wanted, must I think, use Sol Man 7 EhP to do so.

If you're there still on 32bit also I also can just recommend to upgrade....

> I am flat unable to find Solution Manager install or upgrade files in the SAP Software Distribution Center. I have tried searches and using the index. It just doesn't seem to be there. Am I missing something? Is it not available for download?

It is - but you need an installation number for that. If you haven't ordered SolMan yet, create an OSS call (XX-SER-SWFL-SHIP).

Markus

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Markus, I'd LOVE to be able to upgrade to 64-bit... unfortunately our (and many other) agency budgets flat won't allow that at this time so that isn't an option right now. We must make do with what we have..

We found out we didn't get the install key needed in order to get access to those downloads, so our admin person is working on that now.

We have decided to go back to our first option of upgrading the sap solution manager system we have (3.2) on the current platform. This will bring it up to 7 enh pack 1. From there we will use Solution Manager to address the upgrade of the rest of the landscape which is at ECC5.

Thanks

Laurie

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just an advise:

If you upgrade your SolMan 3.2 you need to take the following into consideration:

A SolMan 7.0 is a combined ABAP + Java instance (DualStack). If you now just upgrade the ABAP part, there's no way of getting the Java part "inside" it after the upgrade (that was discussed here some time ago, I just can't find the thread).

So to make later use of the Java part too you need to

- install a 6.40 Java AddIn into your current Solution Manager 3.2

- you need to upgrade that Java AddIn to a support package level mentioned in the upgrade note to be able to be upgraded

- run two upgrade programs at once - SAPup for ABAP and SAPJup for Java, they need to run both at the same time because one will at certain point wait for the other

All that on a 32bit system is... well - not that easy to accomplish but it's feasible.

Markus

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus for the info on Java Addin... I went looking to see if I could find out what exactly I have, and/or need

Here is what shows in the current insll of solution manager.

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager BBPCRM 310 10 Main Component

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager CPROJECTS 310_620 4 Industry Solution

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager PI_BASIS 2004_1_620 7 Plug-In

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager SAP_ABA 620 52 Basis Component

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager SAP_BASIS 620 52 Basis Component

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager ST 320 8 Industry Solution

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager ST-A/PI 01E_CRM315 0 SDP, CDP

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager ST-ICO 140 1 SDP, CDP

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager ST-PI 2005_1_620 3 Plug-In

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager ST-SER 320 4 SDP, CDP

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager ST-SUP 320 8 SDP, CDP

UT1 SAP SOL MAN Sap Solution Manager TMWFLOW 320 8 SDP, CDP

Where do I find information on the Java compoent and what component do I look for?

I'll see if I can do a search on this forum as well to find the reference you mentioned about an earlier discussion too.

Thanks

Laurie

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can try

http://service.sap.com/instguides

--> SAP Components

--> SAP Solution Manager

--> Release 7.0

--> Upgrade Guide FAQ

It will list components and versions that you need.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It seems that you are able to UPGRADE a Solman7.0 system to Solman 7.0 EHP1 but you cannot do a NEW INSTALLATION onto a 32 bit platform

Thanks

DN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I can help you with second question

www.service.sap.com/swdc

-->Downloads

-->Installations and Upgrades

-->My Companys Application Components

--> SAP SOLUTION MANAGER

--> SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.0

-->Upgrade

There you can find the upgrade software what you are looking for

Iam not sure about your 1st questions never done that before:)

Regards

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

And to answer your first question.

I've done this, and it is possible.

Did an install of SR3 on a 32bit w3003 server.

Upgraded to SPS19 (this includes the EhP1).

It's running, just pay attention to your memory!

Former Member
0 Kudos

you cannot install SR3 on 32bit Windows. You have to use the 7.0 SR2 installation box and then you can patch your system upto ehp1

Kind regards

timm

Edited by: Timm Funke on Jul 23, 2009 8:32 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you, as I have done this, I know it's possible....... no offense

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Pls refer the [Note 1145779 - SAP Solution Manager 7.0 Installation|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1145779] Under General Information 6th point.

It says we cant install Central instance on a 32 bit OS. If we try to do then we wont get the SAP Systems option in SAPinst installation screen. Just thought of sharing the info.

regards

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can't argue with a SAP note.....however, I managed to install a SolMan SPS 15 on 32-bit windows.

With the downloaded packages it was impossible at first, but after adjusting the product.catalog file, all went well.

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, it may then be that we should go back to our original plan and just upgrade our 3.2 solman to solman 7 then upgrade that to solman 7 EnhP1. It sounds like that is the sure way to get to the most current Solman on a 32-bit system.

As to the first part... finding the download, apparently there is a piece missing in my login account that doesn't allow those files to be displayed. I'm talking to the admin person here about the permissions on the account.

Thanks all for the info.

Laurie

Edited by: Laurie McGinley on Jul 23, 2009 10:25 AM