cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When and where to implement WM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very commonly asked question and I should be doing my reading before posting...but I have done some reading yet have these questions. I would really appreciate any answers

1. We have a pretty large fast moving warehouse, with inventory being managed at different places and during different times of the manufacturing process. They manage all these stuff in bins (in the legacy system) today. So far it is a suitable candidate for SAP WM but the problem is they dont use the system to propose them the bin when putting away or picking to/from these bins. They just keep visually decide where to pick/put the stock to/from. What is the value of implementing WM in such a case...when we are not using any strategies.

2. Certain areas in the warehouse (usually raw material) dont use bins...its just a huge location. For these can we define them as Storage Locations while the rest as storage types in the warehouse? Or should be define these areas also under the same WH as a storage type with one huge bin as all other areas are already defined as storage types.

Look forward to hear from you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vik Luthra,

1. Yes. In some places, for putaway they select the bins manually. But while

picking, it will be time consuming to search a material in each bin manually.

Picking strategy is helping us. So WMS will help in this area.

2. Eventhough it is possible to setup a storage location without linking to WMS, The process of creating putaway or Picking TO will become confusing for the warehouse executive/Manager. So Creating a Large bin for a single raw material is possible. But again if you have more than one raw material, then you have to plan further.

Bala

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys...that gives me a better idea of what I wanna do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vik,

1. It is one time activity which needs to be done physically in your warehouse for identifying storage type,sections etc. and the same to be done in system but if you see larger picture of cost benefit analysis, WM shall definitely help you in automating your process of putaway and picking strategies once this activity is done and then you will realize the strong power of WM.

2. for raw materials you can use 'open storage' storage type and define strategy for the same which is standard functionality in SAP.

i hope i answered your question.

regards

rahul