cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup MSSQL database into Network Shared Drive

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gurus, Right now i need to backup the sap database into Network shared drive. When i go to MSSQL Studio >Databases> Then choose the instance that u want to backup which is IDS-->Right click on (IDS) and then click on TASKS --> BACKUP. Then i choose full database backup. Then when i want to choose the destination for the backup i only can choose the LOCAL hard drive installed on the server. I cant find an option to choose to backup on NETWORK STORAGE drive. Can someone help me configure that please. I dont have tape drive to backup on it so that option is disabled. So HOW TO BACKUP THE DATABASE INTO NETWORK STORAGE DRIVE. I really appreciate your prompt reply. Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

if you want to backup to a network share you have two choices :-

1. Change the account the MSSQLSERVER service runs under to a user account with the relevant network rights.

or

2. Amend the following registry value on the TARGET server and add the sharename you want to dump to - the share does not then authenticate who is coming in and so a Localsystem account will work. The server service on the target server must be re-started before the change takes effect. Note that this effectively removes ALL security on that share, so you're letting anyone/anything have access. Which is probably not something you want to do with production business data.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\NullSessionShares

Whichever method you use, you MUST also use a UNC name to reference the file required and not a drive letter.

e.g. (6.5) DUMP DATABASE pubs to DISK='
server01\share\backupdir\backup.dmp'

(7.0) BACKUP DATABASE pubs to DISK='
server01\share\backupdir\backup.dmp'

Also try below,(not sure how this works)

You can also do this run this command under the at command scheduler and the drive mapping will be there even when you log off when you create the backup device in enterprise manager you can specify this driver even though it will not show up when browsing for a location it will still work.

cmd /c net use k:
computer\d$ password /user:domain\user

Kindly update.

Regards,

Pavan

Edited by: Pavan Kumar on Jul 22, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers (0)