cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-format Windows, how re-install SAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear gurus,

Our Production Server has gone down because of RAID 1 failure (the 2 disk is damaged).

So we have to re-install Windows.

After installing windows, how do we install SAP? (considering the database is still in different disks).

We do not need the database export anymore right?

My colleagues said we can use System Copy in "SAPINST". But I'm not so clear about that.

Can gurus tell me the required step to perform the installation, so SAP can run again like before crash?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Our Production Server has gone down because of RAID 1 failure (the 2 disk is damaged).

What was on this disk? You can still make the system working If one of the disk fails from RAID 1. Make sure to carry out all the checks before you start taking any actions like restore. As it is your production server you must have the backups. Remember to copy the offline redo logs first. Then you may be able to use it for point in time recovery along with your backups.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The RAID contains the OS.

So we must re-install the OS (and SAP right?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your help gurus,

Have added some points for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In oracle you can use the DAta files present and restore system.

Bur for that you have to use the homogeneous system copy with the Backup restore procedure, then use the data files of the source sytem and you have to do some post installation so that you can bring your system up.

Please refer the following note which tells you the procedure to do the same.

https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=147243

Please follow the steps clearly in the note and you should be able to bring your sytem up..

Thanks & Regards,

Balaji.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kindly confirm your DB ?

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Pavan,

We're running Oracle and SAP 4.7x110.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As its oracle, you need to have the export. Or you can also restore the system from the backup you have.

as far as i know there is no other way to bring up system other than the above two methods.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

So the data in other disk is not useful?

We do not have the export, because we haven't create one.

So how's the procedure to restore?

We install SAP standardly, and then do a restore?

Thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

check the below link:

/people/naveen.kumarh/blog/2007/03/07/osdb-migration

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mr. Pavan, nice info.

But unfortunately, we do not have the DB Export.

I'm confused on:

1. How do we use SAP data that is still in the disk?

2. Or, how do we restore from backup, is it to install SAP and DB normally, and then do a restore, or something else?

Thanks for help.

Best Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

firstly take a backup of all the archive logs and keep it in a location for the restore purpose.

1. Data on disk is of no use.

2. Build the DB and later install the central instance by using the option of an existing database in the installation

please refer the above mentioned link for more details.

Regards,

Pavan