cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the PDK for .NET to build apps for MOSS 2007

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have found a few documents such as the one below that details how to integrate portal content created with Portal Development Kit 2.0 for Microsoft .NET into Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6844e48d-0901-0010-b4b2-d5666689...

Does this method still work for MOSS 2007 or has the iView method of linking in data superceded this.

Thanks,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

did you check the following article ?

[Interoperability between SAP NetWeaver Portal and Microsoft SharePoint Technologies|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/e0489149-5c93-2a10-8aaa-da1cd0b6edf3]

This white paper describes all currently (as of 2007) available interoperability options between SAP NetWeaver and Microsoft SharePoint Technologies possible. Developed jointly by experts from SAP and Microsoft it aims to provide a complete overview over all relevant concepts, technical building blocks and integration scenarios known to date. For key scenarios also detailed How-To chapters can be found in the rear part of the paper.

Best regards,

Andre

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

As someone involved and interested in the SAP / SharePoint integration area, I of course know and appreciate the mentioned white paper. It gives the reader a good overview of the different technical approaches to integrate, and per approach an How-To section.

What is missing, is advice on when to apply the one approach above the other. This is not so strange, since the answer on such questions is for a major part influenced by the particular enterprise situation. However, this is what is Paul is asking for: what is solid advice for their particular situation, taken into account issues like business case, technical environment, user audience, vendors support and plans/roadmaps;

Paul and I have discussed about this for their specific situation in some length via mail. On the major points we agree qua approach. And also on this conclusion: "..I think the key point is that the integration options between SAP & Microsoft (MOSS) are not mature and consequently whatever you choose to do has implications..."

Care to give your view on that ?

Best regards, William.

Edited by: WvStrien on Jul 30, 2009 1:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andre,

Like William I have also read this paper and we have a few of the scenarios outlined already up and running successfully. The problem is there are issues with all of these approaches and each involves a compromise.

To add to what William has said, something else that would be helpful is an understanding as to what direction SAP & Microsoft are taking in order to make the integration process more seemless. By understanding that it would make the decision about what to do now easier.

Thanks,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

an importance difference between SPS 2003 and MOSS 2007 is the reliance on .NET version; SPS 2003 runs on .NET 1.x, MOSS on .NET 2.0 and later.

The corresponding development environments are resp VS2003 for SPS 2003, and VS 2005/2008 for MOSS 2008.

The SAP PDK is also updated for .NET 2.0; see this link:

[Introducing PDK 2.5 for .NET|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/09f53342-0b01-0010-bdbe-e3bc84f18115?overridelayout=true]

However, I'm intrigued by the background of your question: it looks as if you're going to apply the SAP PDK for .NET to develop in Microsoft.NET SAP IViews; and next are going to embed these .NET / SAP IViews within SharePoint.

If so, why then not make a straighforward ASP.NET WebPart; in which you use services to retrieve SAP data ?

Best regards, William.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi William,

We run both SharePoint and SAP EP portals and the initial requirement is to integrate SAP content into SharePoint. I am reviewing a number of ways of doing this and the scenario I outlined in my question is just one of these. The theorybehind it was that any functionality built using this method could then be leveraged and used for our SAP EP users as well.

Questions have been raised regarding this approach and whether the SAP PDK would even allow us develop given the version of VS & MOSS we are running. Based on the link you provided it looks like it is feasible but we would need to connect to web services in SAP rather than using the SAP Connector which is no longer supported as of these versions.

Other approaches include:

u2022 using Sitrion (3rd party tool) to create WCF services to expose the SAP functionality (from the BAPI's) and then create WebParts to display the data. (current solution).

u2022 custom building services within SAP and use them directly in asp.net WebParts

u2022 building the solution in the SAP Portal and exposing the functionality in MOSS via iViews embedded in object tag page viewer web part.

As far as I can tell all of these approaches have drawbacks and I would be interested in your thoughts on this.

Many thanks,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

since my response on your last question is rather lengty, the forum format is probably not the best format. Therefore I've tried to send it to you by email. If the mail somehow has not reached you (I got an initial 'mail delivery error' on your registrated email), please contact me by mail (see my SDN User Profile)

Best regards, William.