cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS customised changes deploy to DEV system?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have my NWDI runtime system configured only for development and it has "disable automatic deployment" check box untick, I assume this means it will automatically deploy changes into Dev system when I follow below steps.

1) Checkin the activity from NWDS.

2) Activated the checkedin activity.

3) Released the activity from NWDS.

Only under the consolidation tab of CBS I see waiting for import. Is this means the components are deployed to DEV system?

How do I verify the components are deployed?

Is there anything on the portal I need to refresh to make the changes visible?

Have a I missed anything here? Is my above steps wrong?

Thanks

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

switch to development component perspective, right click on the DC and click on deploy.

log off and login to the portal and check if changes are reflected.

Regards,

Satya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It just took a really long time to get the changes on the DEV system. I have to make few more changes to see how long it takes. I think it's the build. It's working now, I had to wait.

Can you please confirm this to me,

From NWDS if I just checking the activity from open activities tab, and then from Activation view tab if I just activate the request, the SC should get automatically deployed to DEV system correctly?

I have enabled automatic deploymentment for Dev system.

Thanks

Praveen

Edited by: Praveen11 on Jul 21, 2009 12:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Incorrect, the modified DCs will get deployed, not the entire SC. SC's are assembled in the Assembly stage and from that point on, the entire SC gets deployed (to Test and Production).

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

no, the deployment in devlopment and consolidation statges are always at the DC level.

After assembling the Deployment in to test, quality, prod etc will be at SC level.

Regards,

Satya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That make sense that the changes to DEV are going at DC level and not SC level for DEV system.

Does it normally take a very long time to deploy DC changes to central DEV system?

Is there any way I can find out the progress of the this DC deploy activity on NWDS or CBS instead of waiting for x mins or hours?

Thanks

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

if your server is at a distant location, it take time.

i know only the deploy out put view in NWDS .

Regards,

Satya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

I just to want to reconfirm something here,

After making changes for a DC(ESS addresses) if I checkin the activity and activate the request, the changes should get automatically deployed to DEV system?

I have recently tried direct deployment from NWDS by right clicking on the DC and deploy provided DEV system SDM pwd, it deployed successfully. I could see the changes instantly in portal.

However if I deploy directly from NWDS to DEV portal through SDM, is this correct procedure for ESS customisation? would any dependency be missed by doing this? We have some other ESS/MSS services throwing dump but the changed DC is working correctly. Other services like Leave request is failing and we are unable to use. Here is the dump

com.sap.tc.webdynpro.repository.RepositoryRuntimeException: Could not find target object com.sap.xss.ser.tecl.fctm.FcTmDataExchange with type com.sap.tc.webdynpro.progmodel.repository.IWDComponentInfo (Hint: Is it deployed correctly?).

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.repository.persistence.RepositoryPersistence.getCurrentLayerObject(RepositoryPersistence.java:714)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.repository.model.Repository.getCurrentLayerObject(Repository.java:1483)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.repository.model.NonSharedRelationToOne.doMergeInheritedTarget(NonSharedRelationToOne.java:85)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.repository.model.NonSharedRelationToOne.mergeInheritedTargets(NonSharedRelationToOne.java:49)

at com.sap.tc.webdynpro.repository.model.RelationToOne.getTarget(RelationToOne.java:93)

Can you please let me know the correct procedure to deploy changes.

Also if you can let me know how to check that the DC is successfully deployed to DEV system if I use checkin and activate request?

Thanks

Praveen

Edited by: Praveen11 on Jul 22, 2009 9:41 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

yes, if dependent DCs are not deployed , you will get such errors.

when you activate, the activity, the CBS builds the modified DC with all dependents.

Regards,

Satya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Satya. You are correct, there was a background build running which was causing some of the services failing. The build was running more than 3 to 4 hours and upon successfull completion everything started working correctly.

So it's not advisable to deploy direct from NWDS by right clicking on the DC and deploy to DEV system by using SDM password? This will not deploy dependant components correct?

Thanks

Praveen

PS: can someone please refer to some good blog/wiki/article/help on how to use NWDI correctly and administer.

Edited by: Praveen11 on Jul 22, 2009 12:14 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please confirm deploying ESS DC's from NWDS should be only by check-in activity and releasing activity to DEV system and NOT by direct deployment to DEV system by right clicking on the DC and deploy by providing SDM password?

My understanding is that if we deploy by right clicking DC and click deploy to DEV system instead of going through NWDI, the dependent DC will not get deployed, please confirm?

Thanks

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Praveen,

You are right: deploy from NWDS will NOT automatically deploy dependant DC's. But the dependant DC is available on the dev machine as it was previously imported or deployed manualy.

But checking (setting it "dirty") will trigger a rebuild by the CBS against the latest activated DC's.

So use NWDI :-).

Regards,

Alain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Praveen.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

when you release the activity(created for development configuration eg. track_Dev) in the NWDS it will be put in the queue of consolidation as it is the next stage after development. this is correct behaviour .

Regards,

Satya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not see the changes in the DEV system. I'm not deploying to consolidation system now. I have activated the changes from NWDS but no changes in the Dev portal.

Is there anything I need to check

from the Active DC's tab when I right click on the changed DC and click view Central deployment log, at the bottom of the log I see this message

20090721173606 Info :starting deployment

20090721173606 Info :errorhandling rule is switched from OnErrorStop to OnErrorSkipDepending

20090721173606 Info :prerequisite errorhandling rule is switched from OnPrerequisiteErrorStop to OnPrerequisiteErrorSkipDepending

Thanks

Praveen

Edited by: Praveen11 on Jul 21, 2009 10:22 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

You do not need to release the transport. Deployment automatically follows a successful activation. You can request the SDM build logs from the TCS Deployer application.

Kind regards,

Pascal