cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know how much ram is the system using / requires

Former Member
0 Kudos

So here is the concern, I took up a BASIS role this year and still learning on my feet, up to now I have been going on other peoples suggestions about memory in our systems and how much is required and free. I starting to question this but what I have found is so different to their comments I need to confirm what I have doing is correct. This server also houses a SQL Database so I would like to give as much memory as possibly to the DB to help the disk cache

First off I used ST02 to check the memory being used by SAP, the most important value to me was "Extended memory" with this value I can see that the "IN Max" is set to 50Gb but the Max ever used is 5.5GB. Next I looked at the "Detailed Analysis menu" and within this screen I choose "Storage" as most books and papers say to check this page. I personal found nothing of interest on this page as the values that is shown here seems to relate to my "PHYS_MEM" parameter, change that and this values changes.

Along with ST02 I run the program BC_MEMORY_INSPECTOR either from SA38 or from the main screen>system> utills-->Memory analysis. This seems to be the most useful.

Up to now all it gives me is the SAP /ABAP memory

QUESTION: does this also give me the memory the dispatchers are using ?

QUESTION: To get a Total values do I then Add the "VM Size" of the Jlaunch processes found in ST06-->monitored processes.

I'll keep reading the books but I think I have it right here, can anyone confirm or suggest better transactions

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the below link which will give you more information:

/people/asad.rizvi2/blog/2009/02/26/sap-memory-managment-using-report-rsmemory

/people/rajender.rawal/blog/2005/09/30/optimising-the-performance-of-enterprise-java-application

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwes70/helpdata/EN/96/eb9e24a06d4a8b883fbb8bf4489ae8/frameset.htm

Regards,

Pavan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The memory requirement will be decided on the basis of the no of users and what application you are running.

Provide these info so that we can help you better.

Regards

Ashok Dalai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashok, I think we might be talking 2 different things here, I would like to look at our current system and see how much memeory the current system is using at this point in time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go to ST06

Memory:

Physical mem avail Kb

-

Physical mem free Kb

-

Memory used by the system(which include SAP AppsDBExternal Apps)

Thank you,

Tilak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tilak, I'm still unsure if this answers the question. The equation you have written all appears to represent the PHYS_MEM parameter e.g.

Physical mem avail Kb

-

PHYS_MEM

=

Physical mem free Kb

So does this value give me the amount of memory SAP is using at this point in time or is it just the amount of memory allocated ( reserved ) to SAP. I think it is the second.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What about the extended memory usage in ST02??

It shows the SAP memory consumption and apart from that you can add roughly around 2 GB for buffers.

tilak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dame Tilak, you are only reinforcing what I was thinking.

Does it sound right that running a R3 system with 50 dialog processes / 5 update 10 background would only use 5 GB?