cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ubuntu install - libstdc++.so.5 missing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Attempting to install MaxDB maxdb-all-linux-32bit-i386-7_7_06_09$ sudo ./SDBSETUP

on ubuntu 9.04 and getting

./SDBRUN: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

when I look for it I get

whereis libstdc++.so.5

libstdc+.so: /usr/lib/libstdc+.so.6

where do I go from here?

Thanks, David L.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi David;

>

>...

> ./SDBRUN: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> when I look for it I get

> whereis libstdc++.so.5

> libstdc+.so: /usr/lib/libstdc+.so.6

>...

Which Ubuntu version are you running on your machine? In my environment, this issue could be resolved by installing the "libstdc++5" package...

Cheers & good luck,

Kristian

Former Member
0 Kudos

installed this library and another one was missing, quite ubuntu and got a good install on Mandriva

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

Which other library asides libstdc++5 was missing? I am not sure whether the "initial hurdle" of installing software is a reasonable approach to choosing a server operating system platform...

Just for the minutes: We've been using SAP MaxDB running on various Ubuntu versions (6.06, 8.04, 9.04) in a production environment for a couple of years now, no real problems to report...

K.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're right, this is not a very nice approach.

Ideally I'd like MaxDB to run on Debian, I had some issues with my Debian installation under VirtualBox and popped over to Ubuntu, it being a Debian derivative.

I'm trying to get a handle on a large DB project (~100M records, in a 24x7 environment) and am hesitating between Posgreql and MaxDB. I have messed with SAP DB under Windows a few years ago. I much prefer using MaxDB.

So, my question is: will MaxDB run under Debian? If I know for a fact that it will, then I'll take whatever time is needed to bring it up.

former_member192710
Participant
0 Kudos

>

> Ideally I'd like MaxDB to run on Debian, I had some issues with my Debian installation under VirtualBox and popped over to Ubuntu, it being a Debian derivative.

Well yes, Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, but then again, there are differences between the two of these distributions in components that might matter to an application like MaxDB (libc and other libraries, kernel, ...). So from that point of view, they're not that close to each other in my opinion.

>

> I'm trying to get a handle on a large DB project (~100M records, in a 24x7 environment) and am hesitating between Posgreql and MaxDB. I have messed with SAP DB under Windows a few years ago. I much prefer using MaxDB.

>

> So, my question is: will MaxDB run under Debian? If I know for a fact that it will, then I'll take whatever time is needed to bring it up.

Hmmm... tough question. What Debian version are we talking about? I haven't tried much using Debian in a while (actually, the only machine remaining in our network being Debian based is our backup / tape server), so I can't provide you with a definite go/no-go answer. Few thoughts and considerations on that, however:

- In most situations (dealing with recent Ubuntu releases) I have found default packages / libraries to be newer than required, so I ended up installing "compatibility" packages or older libraries (libstdc++5, as an example). Given that Debian usually is more "conservative" about package selection (in other words: packages are older), this might be even easier on Debian.

- Running a Debian with "recent" packages (Sidux or Debian Sid) is likely to be more trouble, partly in terms of set up but mainly regarding things eventually left broken after doing an update. Actually, this is why we initially chose to use Ubuntu - having long-term support, security updates and such stuff until 2011 for Ubuntu 6.06 is a good thing for having a stable platform.

So, overally: I can't say for sure it will work, but chances are pretty good in my opinion, and, issues given, I'll be here doing my best to help you out.

Good luck,

Kristian