Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine the whether SAP system is unicode or not via RFC before logon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if there Is any way to determine whether an SAP system is unicode or not?

The problem is if i try to connect to SAP system via RFC and the logon credentials are wrong, SAP gives back an error message. This message is either in locale encoding (japanese for example) or in UTF8 (when I connect to a unicode system). To display the message I have to know whether the SAP system is unicode or not because I have to convert the message string to UTF8 (which the GUI controls are using) or not.

Thank you all in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

After login on to SAP system you know its unicode or Nonunicode system

System-->status

You can also check this note SAP note 15023

Regards

Uday

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Verena,

please try function module SCP_GET_CODEPAGE_KIND. If the function module delivers a 'U' (at the first position), this is a Unicode system. Otherwise it is Non-Unicode.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nils,

the problem is that i can not call a BAPI because I have to know it before the logon. I want to display the error messages that the RFCOpenEx logon returns back when the logon fails. ("USER/PWD incorrect" or "Language not installed"). To display the messages correctly on our siede i have to convert it to utf8. For this I have to know in which format SAP (RFXOpenEx) returns the error. What i saw is that SAP returns the messages either in locale encodeing (non unicode sap systems) or utf8 (unicode systems). Because i can not determine whether the SAP system is unicode or non unicode before i make an successful logon (all via RFC) i do not know whether i have to convert the messages or not.

Greetings,

Verenea

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could do a RFC Call that only returns the value of this variable: cl_abap_char_utilities=>charsize.

1 = Non UC

2 = UC

0 Kudos

Hi,

You can determine whether a SAP system is unicode as follows:

From the operating system command line as sidadm:

disp+work -v|more

Note: If you have no access to the operating system level. Try it with this ABAP report: RSBDCOS0

or

You create an RFC destination from a SAP system to any system that you wish to test.

Perform now a unicode test from within the RFC destination. If you get 1 byte, then it is a non-unicode system.

If the value is 2 bytes, then this implies that the target system is a unicode system.

or

run this report RSCPINST, it shows on the right side of the screen either unicode or (Latin 1 or MDMP => non-unicode).

SAP Web Application Server is since Release 6.10 Unicode capable according to this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/de/16/4b3c88170e11d6999d00508b6b8b11/content.htm

Good luck.