cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC 5.0 Hardware Requirements

Former Member
0 Kudos

IT wants to move our current SAP certification development license which is currently on an HP box to a windows server for easier maintainability.

1. What are minimum hw requirements for installing

an out-of-the box "development licensed" ECC 5.0 Unicode system on a windows server

an out-of-the box "Test & Demo licensed" ECC 5.0 non-Unicode system on a windows server

2. We have to decide if we want to purchase one large machine to support 2 licenses or 2 separate windows servers

Anyone can respond to this, I really appreciate the help in advance. Thanks !

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nimesh,

System configuration is always depends on how many active users and their tasks i.e. Long running reports vs transactions. Resource/memory eating transactions etc. There is no rule of thumb that system will be supported for 1000's of users.

It's better to use SIZING the system by using SAP tools on OSS.

MCOD will be slower if you have lot of transactions in given day. You can install 2 DB Instances on one system as named instances.

I hope this helps your decision to go for single system or 2 systems.

Raman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok sounds good I will check with SAP thanks! One more thing, is it possible to have both unicode and non-unicode instances on one server ? My thought on this is that each of them require its own database instance and I think its not possible to do that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Normaly unicode or non-unicode is decided at the time of database installation (character set). Since you need two instances for two SAP systems from same database, which are different character sets, is not possible i think.

You can think about another system(separate database host) for one database. (eg:non-unocode database)

eg: hostname 1 for unicode SAP

hostname 1 for non-unicode SAP

hostname 1 for unicode database

hostname 2 for non-unicode database.

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Non-Unicode and unicode based SAP Systems can share the same database (MCOD installation) if:

- The database can support unicode (i.e. not Informix)

- The database version can support both applications (and in the future in respect to the future application release's DB release requirements)

The strong recommendation is that you start with unicode and conversions later down the line can be very resource and time consuming (and avoidable!)

Cheers,

Mike,

Former Member
0 Kudos

for e.g. I will have 2 licenses, one for demo & test and the other license for dev.

Former Member
0 Kudos

License key is depended on the hardware key (OS,CPU), but I have seen DEV, TEST in one host but on different instance numbers (LPAR technology).

So if your system has logical partition (LPARs) I am sure it will works.

But in your case best is to check with SAP, since they are the one to give the license keys.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish,

Thanks for ur input. I got h/w requirements from one of the install guides on service.sap.com/ and this what I got:

database instance:

·Suitable backup system

· Minimum disk space (not including virtual memory)o Database instance: 50 GB

o Oracle database software: 2 GBo 4.3 GB of temporary disk space for every required installation DVD you have to copy to local hard disk.

· Minimum Ram:

o Non-Unicode SAP system: 512 MBUnicode SAP system: 1 GB

o J2EE Engine (if required): Between 64 MB and 4096 MB RAM are required, depending on the load of your SAP system.

· Virtual memory:

o 1.5 x RAM

Central instance:

· Minimum disk space

o Central instance: 4 GB (not including virtual memory).

o 4.3 GB of temporary disk space for every required installation DVD you have to copy to local hard disk.

· Minimum Ram:

o Central instance of an SAP ECC ABAP system:

· Non-Unicode SAP system: 768 MB· Unicode SAP system: 1.2 GB

o Central instance of SAP ECC ABAP+Java:

· Non-Unicode SAP system: 768 MB· Unicode SAP system: 1.2 GB

o J2EE Engine (if required): Between 64 MB and 4096 MB RAM are required, depending on the load of your SAP system.

· Virtual memory:

o 32-bit: 1 GB plus 3 times RAM. Maximum required is 10 GB.

o 64-bit: At least 20 GB is recommended for standard installations (see SAP Note 153641).

Does that sound right ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

for a unicode system you need 30-50% more space, CPU ,RAM etc.. the sizing is for standard, but do you think you have only 1.2GB in your development system?

If you are not sure check the quick sizer and send the "SAPS" to hardware supplier. the one you mentioned doesn't seems to be correct and practical, consider your modules and customer data, number of users etc..

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont know maybe a little more RAM doesnt hurt, but one question can the support hardware requirement above support on a single windows server ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nimesh

I want to install ECC 5.0 IDES on

HDD = 250GB

Processor = P4 HT 3.05GHz

RAM = 1GB

could you please suggest me good sizing/partition required to 250GB HDD.

Thanks & Regards

Surya

Former Member
0 Kudos

to install ECC 5.0

windows 2003 server or win2000 adv server

processor like 3.0 ghz intel

RAM min 1500mb

hard disk space min 150 gb free (so opt for 160gb harddisk or 200+)

regards

satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a link for the Compatibility Information and Installation Requirements from HP

http://docs.hp.com/en/T2803-90001/ch01s03.html

You could use this as a reference