cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDES installation - import IDES data in existing ERP 2004 ECC 5.0?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

<b>is there any possibilty to import IDES data or only IDES retail data <u>from IDES Installations export DVDs</u> into an existing ERP demo system</b>?

We have installed a SAP ERP 2004 ECC 5.0 (ABAP, Unicode, MaxDB 7.5) system (with retail extension) on Solaris 9. It runs fine on a sun server with sparc architecture.

1 central and 1 database instance are installed on the server. 30 GB from 74 GB are still free in the MaxDB data volumes. 5 Data Volumes, 1 Log Volumes. The disks are mirrored. At the moment there is no possibility to add additional disks. The system is for demo purposes (licensed).

Our SAP project team needs some retail demo data in the system. A project manager said, it should be possible to import/transport/extract data (only retail data or an ides client) from the IDES installation CDs/DVDs into our existing ECC system. There would be no need to install a complete SAP IDES system.

As i know from the instguides and the SAP notes i found, it's only possible to install a complete ERP IDES system.

Anybody know what's correct?

Thanks in advance

Dieter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Dieter,

As far as I know, you can bring data into SAP through transport (Client copy,transport import etc) and batch inputs..but downloading from DVDs is new, but if your proj manager finds a way please post it and let the SAP world know about it.

Secondly I am planning for ECC 5.0 on MaxDB, how do you find the performance of MaxDB? did you face any issues so far?

Thanks,

Mathew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

I i supposed too, there seems to be no possibility to extract data from IDES installation DVDs. Our project manager could not show, how to do this, too. The IDES installation with MaxDB needs about 80 GB of disk space minimum.

The solution is to work with SAP Best practices. I ordered SAP Best Practices for Retail (only 2 GB of data in the SAP system, without documentation). The installation seems to be more tricky than an ides installation.

Performance of ECC 5.0 with MaxDB:

Our system is onyle a demo / development system, and i couldnt still work with mass data or many users on the system. The system/MaxDB runs fine and stable.

I could boost the performance of in changing some SAP Profile parameters (buffer sizes). As you know, its very important to have enough swap space for the system and the max DB (min 3 x RAM + 500 MB), fast hard disks and enough RAM. The slower the disks, the slower the DB performance. We dont use the newest hardware for our system (Sun Enterprise 3500, 5GB RAM, 6 procs) but for our development purposes it seems to be o.k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems

http://www.mysql.com/products/maxdb/

Best regards

Dieter