cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC6 ABAP + JAVA ===> Create standby server and ship logs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

my apologies if this is a frequently asked question but I have been searching for a couple of hours now already.

We have ECC6 ABAP + JAVA running on WINDOWS 2003 64Bit and MSSQL 2005

I want to establish a Homogeneous system copy of production with the same SID and then do log shipping as a standby.

If this was ABAP only then it's really easy, back up DB, restore DB, install system with system copy option.

For Java, I need to export some of the Java stack and then this is used by the system copy tools when installing the new system.

Will the system install with copy option require the standby to be recovered? This will stop me being able to ship logs.

If I get round this by installing a new database and then dropping it I will have problems with the Java stack when it's restored.

Can anyone post a link that will help?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We have ECC6 ABAP + JAVA running on WINDOWS 2003 64Bit and MSSQL 2005

>

> I want to establish a Homogeneous system copy of production with the same SID and then do log shipping as a standby.

This logshipping works only for ABAP-only instances.

Java stores a lot of information on the filesystem, that information/those files won't be transported/copied when you do logshipping only. So you may end in a working ABAP system but your Java system will fail to startup since information in the database is different to what's on the filesystem.

If you want to do such a scenario you must make sure you also copy the filesystem content together with the logs.

Another reason why combined ABAP + Java instances is not a good idea. Long term I would consider separating the instances.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks for the reply.

I noticed from the system copy guide that the following sequence might work:

1) Export Source system Java-Addin - weekly

2) Restore Database onto target system

3) Commence log shipping

****PROBLEM ===> switch to standby

4) Recover database

5) Use SAPinst to import Java-Addin from most recent export

Do you think this scenario will cover everything?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 5) Use SAPinst to import Java-Addin from most recent export

This won't work since it will overwrite the database content from the week before in the Java schema.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

thanks again for your reply.

Are you able to suggest a different scenario, it is not a strict requirement for hot standby. Is there another way?

Which files must be copied also?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would separate ABAP + Java (two machines) and do logshipping for ABAP.

Markus