cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC Core Interface Model - Activation Process Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Core Interface Model - Activation Process Question

I cannot find this information anywhere in SAP Help. I logged the question with OSS but, as expected, they said it was a consulting issue. The SAP rep. did provide a series of Notes to review, however, none of them answered my question.

Question: How does the system treat the data in a Core Interface Model when the

Model is in the process of being activated?

Example: We regularly generate/activate a CIF Model that is used to

transfer material related data from our ECC to SCM systems. This Model

can be very large (392,000+ materials) and take a considerable amount

of time to activate u2013 at least several minutes, sometimes as long as an hour or more.

During the activation process for the new Model, the existing Model is immediately de-activated. The new Model then enters the activation process.

What is the status of the material related data in the new Model during the gap in time when an

old CIF Model is de-activated and a new Model is in the process of

being activated? This time gap maybe as long as an hour or more in extreme cases.

If we were to create a separate Model, for example a PPM Model (which did

not include materials), and try to activate it - during the same time

that our material related Model is running through the activation process -

would the PPM Model fail to pass any material data to the SCM system? i.e. the material Model would be in process and, technically, not activated so how would the PPM Model treat the u201Cin processu201D material data?

Perhaps, once the Activation process has started for a Model the system

immediately change its status to Active even if the activation process

is not 100 % complete?? That seems like it could cause numerous problems.

Thank you for whatever insight you can provide.

Michael McAdam

ADC Telecommunications, Inc

Eden Prairie, MN

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Until the new model is activated, the system considers and uses the old model which was

activated during the previous integration model run.

Once the new model got generated, the system deactivates the existing model and starts

using the new model.

Hence it is always advisable that before activating a new model, one needs to

deactivate the existing model and then to start.

Hope your query is clarified. Please confirm

Regards

R. Senthil Mareeswaran.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

Just to add on to what Senthil says. When you have an existing model that is active, and you generate and activate a new model, it does a 'delta' between the last active one and the current one that is getting active. In cases where the activation of the latest model is interrupted (say, by some Master Data error), you will notice that the system always reverts back to the old model.

Now, I would not recommend running the PPM model in parallel with the Material model because of the simple reason that the latter might fail because it would try to create a PPM for a material that might still not have been updated by the Material model. You would be better off activating it one after another.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Sharath Krishnan

nitin_thatte
Contributor
0 Kudos

You should activate PPM model only after material model is completely activated.

Otherwise, the PPM of materials whose model is not yet activated.(APO relevence indicator set in MARC table) will not get transferred.