Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi guys, please help my understanding

I heard that in order to transfer a file from R3 application server to an external system, one would use FTP_CONNECT, FTP_COMMAND, and FTP_DISCONNECT. My question

is concerning the logical FTP process not THE CODING.

Of course we have to connect to the external system in order to transfer file.

1) Function FTP_CONNECT serves to connect to the external system??? the user & password parameters should be provided for what system ? R3 or the external system??? What does that mean SAPFTP destination ?? The host is the external system or R3 system?? Where is exactly the ftp server???

2) Function FTP_COMMAND serves to execute a command in the external system, rite???

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dean,

I had worked on this long long ago so i cant recollect everything but let me try to answer some of your questions

1) Function FTP_CONNECT serves to connect to the external system???---YES

the user & password parameters should be provided for what system ? R3 or the external system???--External System

What does that mean SAPFTP destination ??--i dont quite remember

The host is the external system or R3 system??--External System

Where is exactly the ftp server???...it would be the address of the ftp location..something like ftp.abcd.com

2) Function FTP_COMMAND serves to execute a command in the external system, rite???--yes,its like after u call this function module you are sitting at the destination ftp directory...then u need to call the ftp_command and run commands like pwd,lcd,put etc to put ur file into the correct subdirectory....if u are to put it directly at the parent directory...you just need to execute 'put filename' command and ur file will be gone there...

also look at the following threads

/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2004/11/15/performing-ftp-commands-from-abap

Hope this helps

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.Abaper..I will try it