cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow Behaviour on Import

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can i Update a record through import process if the record is in some Workflow?

Say i have a record in a workflow and it is not completed yet .Now i am trying to update a field value of this rec by reimporting that record in IM (Update all mapped fields).

Will this record get imported or failed??

Also how will it work if my initial record is checkd out in the workflow?

Thanks

Simran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simran

when you are start workflow, in object "Start" you set property "Check out records" to "Yes" usally.

if property "Check out records" set to "No" you can update records in workflow

But when you edit record - it stay READ-only for other user

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kanstantsin /Jitesh,

Thanks for your replies

So you are saying that if my record is already in a workflow and is not checked out by the WF then i can update it through my IM.

However if my record is in the WF and is checked out by the WF i will not be able to edit it.

If this is true.Then my question is isnt this a problem as my record is in a workflow and is waiting for some approval process to complete and i am modiying its value by reimporting on it thru IM?

Also Kanstantsin can you expalin your point

But when you edit record - it stay READ-only for other user ?

Can't i edit a record in the WF that been updated?

Thanks a lot

Simran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simran,

Your understanding is perfect, it should not allow to modify the records present in workflow. This issue has been fixed in MDM 5.5 SP06 Patch 4 Hotfix 5. Check SAP Note 1316938

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simran

Try this- On import trigger the workflow for the records, with checking out the records in the START step.

In import manager configurations option allow auto join of checkout.

now for the records which are checked out and part of workflow if we try updating some fields by re importing it will first join the checkout process and then edit.

Let me know if this works.

best regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Thanks..

As per the Sap Note for the latest pack.

Records in a workflow whether checkout or not checkout cannot be modified. and IM will fail.

Also i have one more question.

How can i get the list of all workflows that are holding a particular record.

Thanks

Simran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simran,

We have reverse functionality i.e. you can get the list of records present in the workflow (just by selecting the job) but for reverse there is no such functionality hence you need to search it manually.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Thanks...

The Problem i am facing is that my record is in a WF and is checked out thru start step.

This WF i have triggered through IM Config option.

I have also made auto join chekout to Yes.

Still when my user receives the task he is not able to edit the record.

The record appears as a Non Member chekout to him.

I have given the user all necessary rights on checkouts and also i am on the vs mdm 5.5.62.63 which should allow auto join of chekout to the WF user.

I do not know what could be the problem

Plz Suggest

Thanks

Simran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simran,

From where did you get this information that Auto-join is supported in the version you are on? Well as mentioned earlier Auto-Join Checkout option of import manager is not related to workflows. To check whether the issue is with the rights assigned to the user, temprorarily assign the Admin role to this user and test the scenario.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

What i meant was not the Auto join checkout property is available in my MDM vs.

I rather meant that the vs that i am on does not require me to manually join the checkout in workflow but automatically joins me to the checkout.

Any ways ill try your option.

Thanks

Simran

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simran,

I tried both the options

1. When your record is checked out and in workflow and you will try to update it using IM then it will fail

2. When your record is in workflow and if you try to update it using IM then it gets updated without error.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Usually when the records in checkout in workflow, IM is allowed to change them. So it will fail.

Pls let me know your requirement.

+ An

• This is not an official message and not related to my organization.