cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg:BRtools on distributed system

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

We have installed ECC6.0 with EHP 4 on windows server 2003 with oracle.Now when i try to launch the brtools on the central instance it is saying that oracle_home is not set.But how do i set the env variable since the location of the oracle home directory is on the other system which is having DB.Please help in this regard.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should always execute/use BRTools at DB level only as BRTools is used for DB ADmin.

If you have distributed system then you should also set below env variables at CI.

dbs_ora_tnsname

oracle_home

oracle_sid

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sushil

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI shushil,

I have some questions for you.How do you know the oracle_home directory when the database is instaclled on a seperate system.How will the CI know the oracle_home directory on the database system.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BRTOOLS is used for database administration. For a distributed system, your database is on different host. So, you should use brtools on database host only.

Along with ORACLE_HOME you also need SAPDATA_HOME to be set. As brtools uses the directories under SAPDATA_HOME.

Just check for SAPDATA_HOME in your DB server, you will get the answer of your question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do i start brtools from the database machine when the kernel is not located in the database system.It is located on the CI.Any pointers highly appreaciated.Thanks in advance.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>How do i start brtools from the database machine when the kernel is not located in the database system

Remember your usr\sap directory on CI is a shared one via name sapmnt and saploc.

>How do you know the oracle_home directory when the database is instaclled on a seperate system.How will the CI know the >oracle_home directory on the database system.

Check Drive:\usr\sap\SID\SYS\profile\oracle\tnsnames.ora on your CI. You will get the name of your database server and listener port ( default 1527). This again accessed via env variable TNS_ADMIN on CI

Now ORACLE_HOME, SAPDATA_HOME are environment variables set on your db server. So, can be accessed.

This was for Oracle 10g

For 9i , even on CI you will get ORACLE_HOME , and check the listener.ora file on

Drive:\oracle\ora92\network\ADMIN.. you will get the database hostname and again there you have oracle_home as env variable.

Hope it is now clear to you

Thanks and Regards

Anindya

Edited by: Anindya Bose on Jul 15, 2009 6:39 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Anindya is correct. Just to add see below sap notes. It may help you.

Note 556232 - Environment settings for R/3/Oracle on Windows

Note 94801 - Environment variables/Registry (Windows NT)

Thanks

Sushil