cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of a background job

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

One of our background job ran almost 8 times longer than last time and it got completed successfully.

What are the tcodes (like ST03N, ST02 , ST04 etc) and what exact options i can look for this completed job to see where is the bottleneck and why it took so long.....

I am basically looking into the best way to look for sequential read (which is what pretty much of the time the job did)

Thanks,

Murali.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can run the job through SE30 - it will tell you exactly which statement is expensive.

Is that program a standard program or self-developed?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MArkus,

Can i do a SE30 for a finished report ? It is a Z program

Thanks,

Murali.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's impossible to find out what was causing the long running time a week later.

You should check with the developers of the program. I have seen many "select * from <tablename>" statements, where a huge amount of data is read which is not really needed.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok fine, let me talk to developers.

Thanks,

Murali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

First you should find the cause using STAD and ST12, in order to see if you have a DB problem, system problem or hardware problem. ST12 transaction can help you adressing this issue to developers.

cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing it since it is opened for long

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check ST05, trace the report, check explain plan to see which indexes are chosen. Compare with your QAS system to see about the same explain plan.

have you run DB_STATS lately?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Job is completed week ago. I do not think ST05 can be used now for a finished report.

Thanks,

Murali.